Depotting and MAC swatches


Isn't there something about eye shadow palettes that just makes you feel like you need them all? With that being said they're one of the beauty products I can almost always convince myself I don't really need. The Naked Basics palette is the only one I own, though I've had my eye on quite a few for a while now...

Anyway, I'm trying to simplify and minimize this year so I finally ordered a z-palette from Amazon so I could store my loose eye shadows.

z palette; depotting

After watching a few videos and reading up on the instructions, it seemed like it was going to be super easy to depot my eyeshadows. It's something of a miracle that I didn't deeply wound myself using a knife trying to ply the shadows out of their pots! I found it easiersafer to use my nail & then when there was a bigger opening I put the knife in to wedge the pot out of the case.

Getting the shadow out of the actual pot was a little bit easier, but still slightly tricky. I put a piece of foil on my straightener and placed the pod on top of that. It seemed like it went from not melting at all to being completely melted, but as long as you're checking often there shouldn't be any problems and the eye shadow does easily come out once you have the glue melted.

The z-palette came with stickers so you can write the names of the shadow on the back and quickly stick it on the bottom before the glue dries.

I got the small palette, which will fit 9 MAC eye shadows (I only have 5 so it was perfect)-- it's so sleek and takes up WAY less space so it was definitely a good purchase.

mac swatches; naked lunch; soft brown; satin taupe; sable; vanilla
L to R: naked lunch | soft brown | satin taupe | sable | vanilla
Naked Lunch (frost) didn't want to swatch, I have a better picture here. This is a beauty blogger classic-- it's described as a minimal pink with light shimmer.

Soft brown (matte) is one I picked up after hearing Jaclyn Hill talk about it so much. It's a nice crease or transition color. It's described as a golden peachy-brown & it definitely pulls very orange on me.

Satin Taupe (frost) is taupe with silver shimmer- the silver in it makes it more cool toned & sometimes I prefer more golds in eyeshadows.

Sable (frost) is my newest eyeshadow. It's a medium brown/bronze with a hint of plum. This has been an interesting shadow. Swatched on my hand I thought it was the prettiest shadow ever, but on my lids it's very reddish, so I still need to play around with it a little bit to see how I like to wear it.

Vanilla (velvet) was my first MAC eyeshadow and it's a great versatile shade. It's described as a peachy-ivory with reflects. It's a nice highlight color that's in-between being matte or frosted.

I have two single Urban Decay shadows that I might add in as well. I still have my eye on sumptuous olive, but I definitely DO NOT need any more eye shadow.



What are your favorites? Any shadows you've recently discovered?

24 comments

  1. I've never tried removing my MAC eye shadows but it sounds like a good idea. They take up so much room. That Satin Taupe color is gorgeous! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I don't have any shadows that need to be de-potted - most of mine already are in palettes - but I'll keep this in mind for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great idea!! I only have two separate little shadows, but now I feel like I can get more since I can have them in a palette like configuration!! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  4. i don't have any little shadow thingys (definitely no macs, lol), i only have palettes because i feel like if i had the mini ones they would take up too much space and i'd lose them / forget what i have. i love opening a palette and randomly deciding what i'm gonna wear. also, the mac ones are obviously more expensive, and i'm cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this idea! I'd love to have them all in front of me at once so I don't forget about some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just ordered my first eye palette EVER this past week. I feel so grown up :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to get a Z Palette and do some depotting my self. Gosh I LOVE Sable and Satin Taupe, I've repurchased them both several times :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love getting the inserts from mac but they only sell them at actual mac stores so this was super helpful. LOVE satin taupe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well that's cool. I've never tried removing the Mac shadows. I didn't even know you could do that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a good idea! I've become a bit of a pallet hoarder and have been neglecting my single pots so I should try this!! I love Sable! Such a pretty colour!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the shimmery neutral colors. Although I've been straying away from Mac makeup like their foundation, liner and mascara, their eyeshadows are still my favorite when it comes to quality and color options.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm the same way with eyeshadow. I used to be super obsessed with it and bought tons of palettes I didn't need. I finally got to a point where I could talk myself out of buying them, but it took a long time haha. I think I own upwards of 40 eyeshadows (and this is after I got rid of a lot when I depotted them and put them in a palette). I use 2 of them on a daily basis. It's so bad! But at least the z-palette takes up WAY less space than all the individual palettes used to!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Naked Lunch looks so pretty! I have a little palette from MAC that has All That Glitters and Smut so I don't think I will be getting any other ones until I run out of these two. But I totally agree, getting more eyeshadow is always so tempting because they have way too many pretty colours!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried depotting a MAC shadow back in 2009... Luckily I did it to a color I cared nothing about (Chrome Yellow.. yeah... really...) because I ended up puncturing a hole in the middle of the pan of eyeshadow. It was a mess and got everywhere. Never attempted it again.

    Connie | Sponsored by Coffee

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the colors, Satin Taupe being my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love Naked Lunch... can't say that enough. :) I've never been inclined to depot my eyeshadows, but it is a really good space saving idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the basics..! I don't own any other except the nude Tude palette..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah! I've wanted to get a z palette for a long time. I just might after reading this. I need less things to take up space on my makeup table.
    Gorgeous colors... and you're right. There's something that just makes us want ALL of the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely post and such a smart idea.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love me some Mac!! such a cool idea for storage!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i use a flame like a wild woman! hehe. i'm assuming they;ll take them back if they're warped? the packaging for back to mac i mean! ;) i still have some z palettes i need to fill up.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Eye shadows are something I'm trying to get into more this year! I've never work it much in the past because I didn't really feel like I knew what I was doing! But I'm trying new things out just about every day and my confidence is building! I saw tanya burr talk a lot about MAC eye shadow pots (lots of the ones who've featured here too!) and I want to try these out purchase them as soon as I can! Love the swatches :) x Carly

    ReplyDelete
  23. I haven't seen Naked Lunch before but now I'm pretty sure I want it. It's so pretty! Also, I'm pretty sure I would totally mess up depotting. I've never even considered it because I'd probably make the hugest mess haha.

    Thanks for linking up to Best of Beauty! xo
    Olive & Ivy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top