Thoughts on The Goldfinch


I mentioned The Goldfinch for the first time a couple of months ago while I was still reading it, and this book was definitely the standout of all the books I read this year. I almost don't want to bother reviewing it because I don't think I'll do the story justice.

The first thing I'll say is that it's long. It's possibly one of the longest books I've ever read and that's what put me off from reading it for so long. However, the book was so good that even at nearly 800 pages I didn't really want it to be over.

The book starts off in NYC with 13-year old Theo and follows his life over the next 15 years or so. Right away I was pulled into the story because I love all things New York City and I love museums. If you read the synopsis of the book you'll know that Theo's mother dies in a tragic incident in the first few pages. Even though the mother wasn't in the majority of the story I felt like I missed her, just as Theo did throughout the story.

There were parts of the story where I hated what Theo did / what happened to him. So much so that it makes my skin crawl to think about it, but I was so wrapped up in the story, and had so much hope for Theo that even the hard parts were really brilliant to read. Not to mention, I was easily captivated by Tartt's writing style.

There's also a level of suspense and mystery to the story because you're never quite sure what's going to happen-- to Theo, or to the painting.

This is a hard one for me to review without giving too much away, but if you've been debating reading this, I'd say it's a must-read!

Have you read The Goldfinch
What have you been reading lately? 

21 comments

  1. This is like a good movie trailer - it sucks you in!! But way to go on reading an 800 page book!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book was DEFINITELY long. But so good. I had the same creepy feeling during different parts- poor Theo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't even heard of it.. now I'll have to add it to my wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's on my list, and I really really want to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the 800 pages freaks me out since I have a million books on my to read list but I am adding this one now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of those books I kept seeing at Target and wondered how it was. I think I need to read it just because my husbands name is Theo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 800 pages! Wow that is long. There are certain books that I actually wish were longer because I enjoyed reading them so much-but that's really long. As long as it doesn't get boring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always been way too afraid to read this book because it was so long. I think you've convinced me to give it a shot now :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for the review - definitely makes me want to read it even with the huge page count!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 800 pages holy cow!! my attention spam couldn't hold me i'm afraid haha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ive got to check this book out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read it yet, but I'm intrigued. I seem to be more into non-fiction and memoir style books right now, but I'm going to add this to my list for when I'm in the mood for fiction. I always go through phases. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read yet, but it sounds good! I actually love really long books, is that weird?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember you mentioning this and now I want to check it out even more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't want to read this post because I was afraid there might be spoilers haha, so can you just tell me: Should I read it? I've heard such bad things about it that I'm scared to start such a long book, but I know it got amazing reviews, so I'm torn!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for providing some more information about this book! I've started reading it a while ago but I couldn't really get into it. I think I maybe read a couple of chapters and that was it. But maybe I'll have to go back to it and give it another chance!

    ReplyDelete
  17. As always, I enjoy your book reviews! I'm so intrigued by this one now - I'll add it to my 2015 reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like this will make a good movie some day. Love your book reviews Carly!
    So sorry about your grandmother. Big virtual hugs coming your way.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds great, I will definitely read it, thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Clearly I need to start this one over - I got a chunk through and was just not feeling it, but I've heard so many good things!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top