Thanksgiving Weekending in NYC


Happy Monday! I hope everyone who celebrates had an amazing Thanksgiving weekend. We spent most of the weekend in NYC and now are back trying to catch up.



We didn't have any overly exciting plans this trip, but I love going up to the city during the holiday season and seeing all of the window displays and just feeling the magic that is New York City during this time of the year. Our usual routine involves walking all over Manhattan- and we didn't let the rain or cold stop us during this visit. This year was our second time seeing the Macy's Day Parade and it was just as fun as last year. We got to our spot between 74th and 75th street right around 6:30 and it was the perfect spot for seeing the floats and balloons.


We had planned on going to Top of the Rock but the weather was a little bit too iffy (we wanted to go at dusk). Instead we went on the Roosevelt Island Tramway (photos below) for something different to do. It's a quick ride, but a fun way to get a different view of the city & it only costs a few dollars each way.


I have to give a major shout-out to my Hunter Boots. Not only did they keep my feet/legs completely dry walking 60+ blocks in pretty non-stop rain, they're also so comfortable. I kind of wanted to wear them even on the days it wasn't raining!


I can't complete this post without a little bit of food! New York is full of amazing and inventive restaurants, but I'm not much of a foodie so as you'll see from below we usually go for more of the casual route.  These are a few great recommendations that won't break the bank! 


Mighty Quinn's BBQ: I had the pulled pork sandwich with beets and my husband got the burnt tips sandwich with fries and baked beans. Everything was good & it hit the spot on a cold rainy day, but I think the baked beans were my favorite.

Sarabeth's: Confession. When we first got to the restaurant and I saw the menu I wanted to leave... I wasn't so sure about it, but we stayed and I took the classic route of scrambled eggs, bacon, and toast and it exceeded every expectation I had. My husband got the french toast with strawberries and it was delicious as well. We ate at the Upper East Side location but there are multiple ones throughout the city.

S'Mac: We stopped in here to get a late lunch and split the Mediterranean Mac and Cheese. It's kind of hard to go wrong with mac and cheese, but this one had spinach, goat cheese, olives, and garlic. YUM.

The Meatball Shop: This was the place I was the most excited about, but it was just okay... I got the meatball smash-- two meatballs on a brioche bun. Not so surprisingly I took the ultra classic route and got the beef meatballs with classic tomato sauce. My husband got the spicy pork meatballs with the classic tomato sauce and he liked his a lot more than I did. I would try it again but would try a different location or get carry-out.

John's of Bleecker Street is our favorite pizza place, but sadly we didn't have time to make it there this trip.

How was your weekend? Are you all geared up for the holiday season? Make sure you linkup with Biana to share your weekend recap!

31 comments

  1. What an awesome weekend! I've never been to NYC, but my hope is to make it there eventually during this time of year. Glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys watched the parade just a few blocks away from my apartment! I've never stayed in the city for Thanksgiving but I'm hoping to catch it one of these years. S'Mac is a favorite of mine (can't go wrong with fancy Mac and cheese!) and I've been wanting to try the Meatball Shop's new-ish location on the UWS...which one did you visit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so awesome you got to watch the parade live! Looks like a wonderful weekend and the food looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun weekend! So jealous you got to see the parade live! I watched it on tv... it's just not the same!

    <3, Pamela
    sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah! How cool is that you got to see the parade in person?! Was this your first time? I've always wanted to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MMM that food looks delicious. That's so cool that you got to see the parade live. I only watched part of it this year. For some reason it just wasn't doing it for me. In person would've been awesome though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great weekend!! I have to say S'Mac has been on my list for a long time - and after your picture I really want to try it!!! Hunter boots really are the best - glad yours are comfy too!! Happy Monday girl!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO jealous! I spent fall semester senior year of college in NYC and got to spend Thanksgiving there and see the parade. It was SO much fun and you're right - the city is magical this time of year! I'm going to have to go back and try out some of those restaurants. Now to get me a pair of Hunter boots...Happy Monday girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay! these recommendations came at the best time :) my husband and I are definitely more the 'casual' route as well, i was looking on trip advisor for restaurants the first night before our show and everything is so fancy schmancy with like 2 things on the plate for $100, like no... I'm pretty adventurous but my husband likes good ol american food, not that he won't try other things, he'll try anything as long as it's a big portion and cheap, haha. i will try and go to sarabeth's and the john's pizza place, but now you are really, really, really, making me want hunters. dang it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun weekend!! I've always wanted to see the parade in person. Isn't the tramway so fun?? We did it for the first time in September and just loved Roosevelt Island!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK I'm sold.. I want those boots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We were just next door to Mighty Quinn's yesterday for brunch. Looks like you had a wonderful weekend :) Wandering around the city is the best weekend activity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've only ever been to NYC during the spring/summer, I really want to take a trip around this time next year to see the city all decorated for the holidays! I have Hunter boots on my wish list this year - do you have boot socks to go with them? I get really cold feet and I can't decided if they would be warm enough without them for the fall/winter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you had a great weekend! I've never been to NYC, but I can only imagine how amazing it is especially this time of year. When I lived in England, I loved wandering around London during the holiday season and seeing all the department store displays. It was magical!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this!! What a lovely trip! I love NYC all times of the year but ESPECIALLY around the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How fun!! NYC around the holidays would be such a dream, I hope I can go someday too :) Looks like a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh man, you were right over the bridge from me and I had no idea! So glad you enjoyed your weekend in the city. Did you see the Toothless float? My boss works on the parade every year and this year I believe she was assistant captain on that one. Not that that has any effect on you, especially now haha but just sharing a fun fact I guess. Annnnyway, happy belated thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am dying to visit NYC during the holidays - jealous that you guys are so close! I think next year we may have to visit during Thanksgiving weekend, too :) All of the food sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an amazing trip to take, especially this time of year! I totally wear my Hunter boots to outdoor events, rain or shine - gotta get your money's worth ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun weekend!! So jealous you got to see the parade live! I would love that! I really want to see the tree lighting one year. That's a bucket list item for me. :)
    And yes on the Hunters! I LOVE mine so much and they are soooo comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This gets me so excited for our trip coming up!!!! Oh and yes Hunters are a must when it comes to wet weather! I can't wait to bust out mine!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How fun! I would LOVE to see the parade in NYC some day! LUCKY!!!!!!
    I love my Hunters, too... my only quip is that they don't keep my feet warm unless I wear super thick socks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love love love these pictures! We went to NYC over the holidays last year and had the BEST time! I'm going on a quick trip there next month but I'm already so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oooh this must have been such a fun trip! Looks like you had a fabulous time - New York City always is :)

    And great recommendations! I'm definitely going to check out the BBQ place - sounds soooo delicious!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so jealous you were in NYC for Thanksgiving!! Going around Christmastime is my dream!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a fun trip! It was cold and rainy here too. All the food looks fabulous. Love your lip color!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That looks absolutely amazing!! NYC for Thanksgiving parade is one of the things on my non-existent bucket list. So glad to hear the boots did you good. I debated getting some before my trip to Europe and luckily it only rained one day that I would have needed them so I don't feel like I missed out too much!

    ReplyDelete
  28. New York is so festive around the holiday season! I went there last year a few days before Christmas and it was so nice to see all of the lights and decorations. I miss all of the great restaurants they have there, your post makes me want to go back there so badly :) I'm also a big fan of Hunter boots, they are so handy!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looks like you had a great time! It's funny I was there, the weekend before last and saw Cinderella. It was so good. I need to keep these restaurants in mind for the next time I go!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow looks like such an amazing trip, the photos look amazing! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top