Recent Reads: end of the year edition

Happy Thursday! It feels good to be back to blogging (kind of) and I want to say a huge thank you to everyone who sent emails and tweets over the last couple of weeks- they really brightened my day. Once again I'm really behind in getting this recent reads post up, but I wanted to do it before the end of the year.


Yeah, Maybe by Jo Hodges: This was an adorable YA novel that will make you feel like you've transported back to high school with all the good & the bad. As much as I hated Annie's BFF at times- Joey kept her so real and honest to how someone at that age would actually behave. I'm hoping for a sequel :)

The Killer Next Door by Alex Marwood: This is one of those books that I thought about days after I read it, and after I had time to process it I liked it a little bit more. It reads as a mystery/suspense, but it's really more of a study on each of the different characters. It's a group of individuals who live together in a boarding house and there is a lot of craziness (and a murder) that go on from each of the character's point of view. Because there are quite a few different people to follow I had some trouble keeping them straight at the beginning, but once I got into it, it was easier to follow & an enjoyable read.  [c/o netgalley]

Life Drawing by Robin Black: The story pulled me in immediately but as it progressed it seemed to slow down and I found myself losing interest at times. I found Black's writing to be wonderful, easy to read, with great imagery, but the story fell flat. The story follows a couple who has moved out of a big city to the country in an attempt to get a fresh start after the wife has an affair. This is a book that looks at marriage as well as friendships and how the two intertwine. [c/o netgalley]

A Christmas to Remember by Jenny Hale: It's no secret I love the cheesy holiday movies, so I figured maybe I would love a book in the same genre...turns out, not so much. The story had a lot of promise for a cute Christmas story-- the nanny falls for single dad and his perfect family. It seemed like Hale glossed over the parts I thought would have been interesting and spent way too much time on Carrie going over the same thoughts- it got boring after a while.

A small thing that bugged me was that the story is set in Virginia, but as I was reading it felt so forced to me. I decided to do a little research and found that while the author does live in Virginia I believe she's British, which made some of the weird word usage make a little more sense. Not a huge takeaway, but it obviously distracted me. [c/o netgalley]

The last thing I'll say is that all four of these books were completely different. A little YA, a suspense, drama, and some chick lit. I'm currently reading Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty and I love what I've read so far! And if you missed it, I did a full post on my thoughts on The Goldfinch.

I have a lot of housekeeping type things to do over here in blog land, but I'm looking forward to posting again.

Have you read any of these books? 
What have you read recently? 

22 comments

  1. The Killer Next Door sounds really interesting! I think I might have to read that! Yeah, Maybe sounds like a good read too!

    <3, Pamela
    Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're back, dear! Thanks for your great book reviews, as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are back lovely.
    Yeah Maybe is on my list!
    That sucks about the Christmas book. I don't like when authors write certain ways like you said.. I might live in Kentucky but I still talk like an Australian, so I would either make my character Australian so it made sense or would set it in Australia. It's a pet peeve of mine, especially when American authors talk about Australia and all they can come up with is 'wahh it's hot, and I can't understand anyone and haha a dingo ate my baby' and I'm just like NO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh The Killer Next Door sounds totally up my alley - I love a good mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy you're back girl!! I have to say the Killer Next Door sounds really good - thanks for sharing these reads!! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  6. Killer Next Door sounds very good. I need to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought Joey's book and have yet to get to read it :( Maybe I can when I go to FL in a few weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well if it's just not the coolest thing ever to get SO excited to see one of your favorite bloggers BACK, click on the post and see your own freaking book amongst the mix, I don't know WHAT is! Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review friend!! You rock my socks off! And yeah, the thing with the Christmas book frustrates me so much. I've read a few books this year that had SUCH potential to be awesome and then the authors focused on the wrong bits. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have such a hard time finding good books to read! They usually start out keeping my interest, but then about half way through I get bored and never finish it! I've had better luck with self help books and biographies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll definitely be checking out Life Drawings- looks good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just finished Neil Patrick Harris - definite thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay to recommendations to 4 books I haven't read! Thanks lady!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome back, I hope you're doing okay! I'm three chapters into the Goldfinch and so far it's really gripping! The Killer Next Door also sounds right up my alley, and doesn't that sound awful when I type it out haha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't believe I missed your last post - I'm SO sorry to hear about your grandma. My thoughts and prayers are with your family! As for these books, I haven't read any of them but Life Drawing sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok, The Killer Next Door totally sounds interesting. I love books like that! Love seeing what you read each month. I am envious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love book reviews and recommendations! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't read any of these! I need to add them to my list!

    www.madeintheshadeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmm I haven't read any of these but The Killer Next Door looks interesting. I'll have to check it out!
    I hope all is well with you and your family!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am totally requesting The Killer Next Door it sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These sound like awesome suggestions! I love suspense novels so The Killer Next Door sounds like something right up my alley. I will have to make sure to get that one!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The cover of Yeah, Maybe is definitely intriguing! And I've heard great things about Big Little Lies. I guess I need to add that one to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've been wanting to read Joey's book too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top