tomato, rice, and chickpea soup


I've been on a soup kick lately, and this is a recipe I came across from The Faux Martha via Pinterest did not disappoint.

I made quite a few changes to the original recipe due to my own taste preferences, but I imagine following her recipe exactly would be just as delicious.



Instead of using fresh tomatoes or crushed tomatoes I opted for tomato sauce. I really hate tomatoes and anytime I use them in a recipe, I curse myself for not just using the sauce, so I made sure to do that this time. However, if you like tomatoes, definitely add them in!

Since the texture of the tomatoes would be lacking I decided to add extra carrots and celery. And as most of my cooking attempts go, they're rather large pieces because I hate chopping!

Sidenote: How do you guys handle chopping onions? The second I cut into one my eyes burn so bad I can hardly see well enough to continue cutting.

Ingredients I used:
1 qt vegetable broth
29 oz tomato sauce
1/2 sweet onion
2 garlic cloves
5 carrots
4 celery stalks
1 (15oz) can of chickpeas
3/4 c. brown rice
2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. chilli powder
1 tsp. cumin
salt & pepper to taste

Directions: Saute the onion and garlic in a large pot for about 5 minutes; add in the carrots and celery for another 10 minutes; Add in the rest of the ingredients & bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for about 30 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked.

I didn't have the delicious looking rice blend used in the original recipe, so I just used Uncle Ben's brown rice and it did the trick. (My husband who REFUSES to eat brown rice, completely loved this soup!)

If I make this again in the future I would probably chop everything up in advance-- and by that I mean have my husband chop everything up for me ;) Otherwise it was a really easy and quick recipe!


I'm linking up with Mary & Emily today, so make sure you visit their blogs for more recipes!

27 comments

  1. That looks yummy! I don't like tomatoes either. I normally put them in my food processor first to get rid of them and then put them in my food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chopping onions is done with some sort of pampered chef contraption after I've quartered it. Most of the time it helps with the tears! Chopping does take up way too much time when you're using all the fresh ingredients! Looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum - I'm always up for trying a new soup recipe, especially with your addition of the extra veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, man. This soup would be perfect for this sickling today!!! Looks seriously delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh I can't wait to try this! I love a soup recipe that has some substance to it like the rice... otherwise I'm usually still hungry afterwards. As for onions, I've heard chewing gum while cutting them helps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so hearty and good!!! I'm usually not up for making soup at home - just hard for me - but this looks so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum. This looks delcious! I almost made the mini shepherds pies this weekend, but didn't.
    You know, cutting onions doesn't bother me, but my husband can't even be in the room while I'm doing it. I've heard the gum trick, too, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This soup looks so tasty and healthy! I love chickpeas but rarely cook with them. As for the onion, I've heard chewing gum helps while chopping them but haven't tried it myself. You could also wear goggles! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious! I love soups during this time of year, so I'll have to try this one out. If you have a Bed, Bath & Beyond near you (or just look online), I suggest ordering the Chop Vidalia for your issues with onions. It's a great chopping tool that takes out the nightmare and work of cutting an onion! My mom has issues with cutting onions, too, and that tool has been a lifesaver for her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOH this looks so good! I'm a big fan of soup, and this time of year is perfect to make a pot a week. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a huge soup fan and this looks delicious. I need to find a good solution too, I was chopping onion for the week a couple nights ago and it was BAD, my eyes were burning like crazy. I had to keep stepping away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! I'm always looking for hearty healthy soups to make!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so good and I bet even some sauteed shrimp on top would be yummy also.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm such a fan of chickpeas.. this looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE soup, thank you so much for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. you don't like tomatoes? I don't think we can be friends.
    Or at least, I'll never be able to cook for you because I put tomatoes in errythan.
    My husband doesn't like soup very much, I did try that white bean one you posted the other day cause I thought he might like it cause it was chunkier. I only made it last night meant for lunch today and neither of us ate it for lunch (oops).
    Although I think this one would be good, a little 'heartier' because of the rice. I'd add tomato sauce and tomatoes haha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yumm!! This sounds so good! I don't like tomatoes either! I usually chop them up SUPER tiny in order to eat them. SO gross!

    <3, Pamela
    sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love a good soup. especially as it gets deeper into fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks so delicious!! My sinuses have been acting up lately, probably because the weather has been so weird. This would be a great recipe for those cold weekend afternoons where all I want to do is curl up with a bowl of soup in front of my couch while watching Gilmore Girls! :]

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum!! This looks amazing!

    www.madeintheshadeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. That sounds really good. Chop a 100 onions in a row and you won't ever cry again! Haha! Just kidding that was a Julia Childs trick.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This soup sounds delish!! I must try asap!
    I NEVER chop onions myself. I use a food processor... LOVE that thing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love it that you share soup recipes because I'm always trying to work more soup into my daily diet! I really like vegetable soups so I will have to give this one a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I seriously could eat soup everyday all day. It's so healthy and usually a recipe makes lots of lunch leftovers! That recipe looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks amazing!!! It's still 90 degrees here in Phoenix, AZ, but I'm still embracing the fact that it's Fall and we should be eating soup!! I'll have to add this to my menu for next week (and hope it'll be less than 90 degrees then)! :)
    Thanks for sharing with us at Delicious Dish Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I’ll be featuring this as one of my favorite’s for this week’s DDT! Feel free to come by and grab the “Featured Favorite” button, and bring another recipe to share! :) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top