Naked Basics Palette: First Impression

urban decay naked basics

I know I'm like a billion years late over here, but I thought sharing my first impression and some photos might be helpful to anyone else out there who over-researches when it comes to makeup. You may remember this post, where I was on the fence about an eye shadow palette... well I ended up going a totally different route and got the Naked Basics palette- though I still have my eye on the Lorac for my Christmas list...



The Naked Basics palette had never really appealed to me despite its glowing reviews. It just looked so boring and it felt like the tutorials I would watch were never that impressive. It wasn't that they were bad, I just wasn't sure how they would show up with my skin tone. Then I came across this tutorial on Youtube and was completely sold. Her eye shadow was exactly the look I wanted!

I don't know how people fashion blog because I couldn't manage to take a picture of just my face without looking every kind of awkward. I tried to use our real camera, but without my husband around to take the pictures for me it just didn't work out so well, so I apologize for the semi-blurry photo.

urban decay naked basics

I attempted to recreate the look from the Youtube video-- skipping over using crave because I didn't want anything too dramatic.

Faint ended up taking over my entire eye area. In the pan faint doesn't even look that dark-- but it applied really opaque (it was a tad bit powdery compared to the four lighter shades).

Luckily I went back over my lid with a mixture of foxy, walk of shame, and venus and blended a lot and ended up being happy with how everything turned out- especially for my first time using the shadows.

urban decay naked basics palette review

All six of the shadows were smooth and creamy and held up to that UD standard. Venus is the only non-matte in the palette, UD describes it as a demi-matte, and I think it might have been my favorite-- it has a very slight shimmer so it makes a great highlight or bright.

I used Too Faced Shadow Insurance while wearing the shadows and even with my oily lids, I had minimal creasing after wearing the shadow all day.

The only complaint I have with the palette is that after having it for like three days, I opened it and the mirror had fallen out! I was able to get the mirror back in and I hopefully won't have any issues with it coming out again.

My favorite way to use the palette is to apply WOS all over my lid with naked 2 in the crease and then add venus to the center of my lid right above my lash line and into my inner corner to brighten it all up.

Do you own this palette? What are your favorite shade combinations? What other eye shadows have you been loving?

30 comments

  1. Really great review Carly!! I actually want to get the naked basics palette just because of how compact it is - I mean it's the perfect travel palette!! I'd probably use up that Venus share pretty quickly and I love how you did you eyes!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got this palette for my birthday a few years ago. While it seems SO BORING, it's FANTASTIC for travel. It's good on it's own--but it's also great as supplementary shadows for a basic look (to bring in some matte to otherwise shimmery shadows). I also love the classic matte look you can get with it. I imagine if I had a day job outside of the house that I'd reach for this a lot. It's also my go to for weddings because I generally like to do a bold lip with that so it's nice to keep the eyes classic. Did you buy it from sephora? If so--take it back and exchange it since the mirror fell out! They have a great return/exchange policy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fantastic review! I've had the Naked Basics palette for quite some time - I don't often reach for it because I don't find that the colors blend real well together. I do occasionally like to wear Naked 2 in my crease with W.O.S. all over my lid for a natural daytime look. They just released the Naked 2 Basics Palette, so I have my eye on that one now, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Naked 1, 2 & 3 and love them, and have always felt the same as you did about the Basics. Your look is very pretty though - the colors look great on you!
    And yes.... How do fashion & even food bloggers take pictures?! So hard haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't own this one but I feel like you can't go wrong with any of the Naked palettes! As Joey said, this one would be perfect for traveling because it's so much smaller... and now I may have to get it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the regular Naked palette but I've never tried just the Naked Basics. These colors all look really pretty though!

    <3, Pamela
    sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use this palette. I actually used it today! I like it for a subtle, natural, neutral eye.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these colors! Great for everyday but also good for dressing up. I'm horrible with eye makeup though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that sucks about the mirror, but this look is fabulous on you! I have always wanted to try this, and now I am sold!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I seriously need to fly over there and have you teach me how to do my makeup. Your eyes look gorgeous! I'm usually a pink and violet eye shadow girl, but I really need to toss all my shadows and start over. They are pretty old. I'll have to check this one out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That right there are all the colors I wear... I'm such a neutral make up wearing person.... color looks odd on me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm SO on the fence on this. I have the Naked 2, and I love makeup, but I rarely wear shadow these days. I wear a very simple face to work (because I pretty much only see two people in our super-casual small office on the daily basis and putting effort into it just doesn't really make much sense) and love doing my eyes when I go out, but I haven't been doing much of the bar scene lately either. But the palette is just so pretty and perfect. But now there's the Naked 2 Basics too! And I'm all kinds of confused. But thank you for this review! It mayyyyy be nudging me in a certain direction...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do love this palette, I often use Naked 2 & Faint in my crease and almost daily use Venus to highlight, regardless of what other palettes I've used that day. Now I want the 2nd one, everyone says it's so worth it, even owning the first one. Your look is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great everyday palette. I need to make the plunge when I finally use up some of my other eye shadow. Holy long lashes by the way, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't own this palette. But I have been wanting to own this palette! And you have just made me want it even more.

    Deidre Emme

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's exactly the type of look I like for every day too! The shadows look so different on your eyes than in the palette. I've never really been interested in it because I thought it might be too warm for me but the shades look really beautiful and neutral on your skin!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't have this one but it does look like it has a good variety of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE LOVE LOVE my palette!! I can't take nice photos of my makeup either.. Well, I can.. But I end up lookin all sorts of weird..! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love naked basics! I reach for it and 2 constantly!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't have this, because I never wear eye make up, but it looks great on you! I need to learn new make up techniques and tips! Maybe I'll give this a try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I pretty much never wear eye shadow....just liner and mascara but when I do swipe some on usually it's something basic/natural like that. The mirror fell out? You know what I would say to that especially if it was a Sephora purchase ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. i own them both and am sharing the 2nd one on friday.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really like this palette, but I haven't been very adventurous with it! I'm gonna have to try your technique and mix some colors together. Naked 2 is my go to color while I don't think I will ever use Crave because it's so dark.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome review. I think your look came out really pretty! I've owned this since it released and I still grab it on a regular basis for highlight colors or a nude eye. I mostly use the four lightest shades because the two darker colors are SO dark and take a lot of extra blending time.

    xo Always, Abby

    ReplyDelete
  25. I seriously love this - I like that all the shades are matte, making it wearable for all occasions! And it's the perfect size for traveling as well. Have you seen the Naked Basics 2 palette? I've been debating between that and this...

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  26. Its super pretty but it does kinda seem like it would get boring...I feel like I need it though because doesn't everybody need those basic matte colors??

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've been thinking of getting this palette. Love the two colors you are wearing in the photo above. I definitely need to check this palette out.

    Jessica xo
    the way to my Hart

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have it and it's my daily go to palette:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Again, commenting because I saw it on your sidebar. I LOVE this palette. I use Crave for my brows, Faint & Naked 2 on my lids, and WOS for highlight. I hardly use the other ones. I like these small palettes because I tend to use only a few every single day. As for the mirror, bummer. Mine has stayed put.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top