My Experience Making Apple Bread


Happy Monday! This should actually be titled the apple bread that almost wasn't. I had some major baking issues with this and I think our oven temperature might be off a bit. I'm actually really proud of myself for salvaging the bread & it was delicious even with a few flukes.



I'm a huge fan of zucchini bread- I could probably eat an entire loaf in one sitting, so when I came across this recipe for apple bread with cream cheese, I knew I wanted to give it a try this fall.

I followed the recipe exactly up until the bake time.

1. Shred your apples (I used one green & one red); 2. Add in oil, sugar, eggs, & vanilla- mix well; 3. Add flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon & nutmeg (I used all cinnamon) & fold into wet ingredients 

4. Pour into loaf pan; 5. Mix cream cheese, sugar, and egg in separate bowl- pour into loaf pan; 6. Lightly mix two layers together- cover with foil & bake. You can find the full recipe at Tomato Kumato.

This was right after I poured the cream cheese mixture on top- before swirling the layers together
It was all good up until that point & as you can see from the picture below where I first removed the foil after baking for 30 minutes, the center is completely raw still. I followed the recipe and removed the foil and baked for an additional 20 minutes. I thought maybe that would be enough time for the center to firm up....

The bread clearly uncooked after the first 30 minutes
...It wasn't, so after baking for 50 minutes I turned the temperature down to 325 and put the foil back on while baking for an additional 10 minutes. It was looking a lot better at this point so I baked it for another 7-8 minutes.

Voila! Finally baked all the way!
I've made zucchini bread probably a dozen times and have never had a problem with it, so aside from the oven temperature issues I'm tempted to blame the cream cheese. I don't know if I didn't swirl it into the mixture correctly but it all seemed to settle in the middle.

Even with all of the difficulties with baking, it was really good. There wasn't all that much apple flavor- it tasted more like a traditional coffee cake.

Have you ever made apple bread? What are your favorite apple recipes?

35 comments

  1. I've never tried to make bread at home but I want to! That apple bread looks amazing! Even if it didn't taste super apple-y coffee bread is amazing!

    <3, Pamela
    sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you hate when you follow a recipe and it doesn't work out! I feel like that happens to me all the time. I'm like it says 30 minutes but I end up baking for 50 minutes, how does that happen?! Either way your bread DID turn out and looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried making apple bread - to be honest, I didn't even know that was a thing - but it looks good! Thanks for sharing your tips and tricks. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad it turned out ok even with a few issues. I have found that with a few recipes that I kinda have to check it out and cook for longer or less depending on my oven and how it looks. i haven't ever made zucchini bread though it sounds like i should!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that it turned out good for you!!! I think I'd have the same problem with my oven - my temp is all wonky!! It looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, yeah I find cooking with apples to be really hit or miss. It's surprisingly hard to actually make something taste like apple. The cream cheese in it (even though it maybe didn't help it cook all that well) sounds like a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never made it but I'm always buying it from a local orchard

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM I love apple bread and yours looks particularly amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never tried apple bread, but it sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never even tried apple bread before, I think I would like it though :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This has happened to me with banana bread.. where I baked it and the middle wasn't cooked completely and I've put it back in for longer. I wish I had thought to turn down the oven like you did because the edges get overcooked. I'll try that next time :) but glad it turned out yummy! I definitely think most breads need more than 30 minutes, at least in my experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though the oven at our old place was a little weird as well, so I'm eager to try it with a new oven haha. We shall see!

      Delete
  12. I've never tried apple bread, but I do love zucchini bread! I have a huge list of yummy baking recipes to try this fall- I just need more friends to give the goodies away to so I don't eat them all myself!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad it came out ok in the end. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I baked something recently and despite following the recipe it took TWICE as long (which meant dinner didn't happen till after 8). It was manicotti, too, so who knows what the heck is going on in oven land ha. This bread looks so good though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bread is totally my thing, but I've never done apple bread. I've done apple muffins though, and sometimes because the apple is "wet," it can mess up the baking. Could be the cream cheese too.
    It looks really good Carly! Glad you were able to save it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I tried making apple bread earlier this fall and ran into the same problem! It took like an extra 40 minutes to cook. I figured maybe it was my oven, too so I've been increasing the temperature by 25 degrees more than the recipe calls for and that seems to help. At least you were able to salvage it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never made apple bread but it sounds amazing!! I'll have to try it!

    www.madeintheshadeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never even heard of apple bread but my hubby would LOVE that. He is a total apple whore, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never made apple bread but it sounds delicious! I love apple pie and apple scones. And you reminded me, I seriously need to get some zucchini bread whipped up.

    Caitlin @ Coffee with Caitlin
    www.coffeewithcaitlin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. hahaha i've ran into similar baking problems. but this still looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I should really know by now not to click these posts without having eaten something right before. No matter the process, this looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm impressed girlfriend. I love to bake but have zero patience for things not going as planned haha! I would have been the girl throwing the entire pan away! Glad you salvaged it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks so yummy! You must be so talented!

    - Deniz
    www.dressedupdeniz.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. That looks sooooo good! I try not to bake at home because I always end up eating 2/3's of it! The last time I made brownies for work I did them in the morning and then brought them immediately in.....that helped cure the eat half before going to bed situation ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh yum, this looks so good! I really love banana bread, zucchini bread and pumpkin bread... so I think I definitely need to give this a try!

    xoxo
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is such a great recipe! I'm glad that the apple bread turned out good even though it wasn't a smooth sailing for you. I love banana bread so apple bread sounds really tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yum! I have made pumpkin and banana bread plenty of times, but not apple. I bet Ben would love it, maybe I should give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have never made apple bread!! Need to try!! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  29. im not a very good baker but this bread looks like it's worth all the work! xo jillian - stop by! I'm hosting a giveaway on cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've never tried to make an apple bread before! I love using apples in the fall time though, I bet it was delicious!!

    Ivy xx
    Style Life Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anytime you say cream cheese, I'm in. I would eat it on or in anything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oooh apple bread would be a new one for me. Is it similar in consistency to banana bread?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top