Mini Shepherd's Pie


In my mind I love shepherd's pie... I actually don't think I've ever had the traditional version, but whenever I see it, it always sounds so good. When I came across this recipe for a version of mini shepherd's pie, I figured it would be a good alternative to try out before tackling the task of making the real thing.



As it goes with most new recipes I try out, there were some major issues along the way, starting right away with the biscuits-- buuut I managed to improvise and was actually quite proud of myself with the end result.

The recipe is supposed to make 12 biscuits, so when I saw that my biscuits only came with 8 I figured I didn't grab a big enough can... so I put one biscuit in each muffin tin. Once I started baking them I quickly realized that was incorrect because they had expanded so much there was no center to fill anything! Feeling defeated, I decided to cut out the middle of the dough and I was left with somewhat of a little cup- problem solved!

I followed the recipe as directed for the most part-- using half of each ingredient since I was only making 6 mini pies.

I didn't have any leftover potatoes, so the ones I used were warm because I had just made them-- because of this, once I put all of the ingredients together I put them in the oven for about 5-6 minutes, or just until the cheese had melted on the top.

Being honest here, I had a hard time getting the potatoes and the meat mixture to fit in the biscuit cups so the bread to filling ratio was a little off- the biscuit and potatoes are my favorite part so I wasn't too bothered by this, but if you're big on the meat filling you might be disappointed.


Above you can see the not so pretty biscuits after I cut out the middle. According to a lot of the reviews on the website, the seasoning listed for the potatoes is incorrect so if you follow the full recipe, I'd be aware of that. I actually didn't add any garlic of flavors to the potatoes since there had already been garlic added in the meat mixture. If there's anything I dislike more than too much salt, it might be too much garlic!

Overall, these were delicious and a fun little play on shepherd's pie! After the biscuit mishap I was worried about the texture, but these really were good enough to share (or not to share).

I didn't post the full recipe because I followed everything exactly as you'll find it here. Let me know if you prefer the full ingredient list and directions.


Are you a fan of Shepherd's pie? Do you like changing up traditional recipes, or do you prefer the real thing? I'm linking up with Emily and Mary- make sure to check out their linkups for more delicious recipes!

32 comments

  1. Mmmm, these look so good! I don't think I've had traditional shepherds pie either... but I like the idea of it :) Can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I love the idea of this! Every time I hear shepherd's pie I always think of the episode of friends where Rachel messes up her trifle!! I love anything "mini" and these would be an awesome thing to serve at a holiday party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a recipe similar to this pinned and have been wanting to makes these for the longest time!! I'm not the biggest fan of peas, so I'll just keep those out - but this is delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea. I may try my own version of this using my Mexican Meat Pie method---crescent roll dough! Your dinner looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! This seems like a great idea/recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I've had shepherds pie either, but these look so cute and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea and I am actually making shepherd's pie tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I seriously love Shepherds pie!!! The mini ones sound absolutely perfect! I definitely need to try these out soon.

    <3, Pamela
    sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love shepherds pie and these look delicious for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so good, and love that you could take it on the go!

    www.madeintheshadeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Biscuit cups... my world has just opened up...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this since I tend to stay away from it because of too much crust, but this helps reduce some of the bread.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my gosh I have been craving shepherd's pie something crazy. but i couldnt make them with biscuits anyway, but i might try a crustless version i've seen floating around.

    ReplyDelete
  14. yummmmm!!!! Love shepherd pie! And with biscuits!? I die!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh boy, I think this on top of more mashed potatoes and smothered in gravy sounds to die for ha.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The final product looks very yummy! Joey has said a couple times that he loves shepherd's pie so I should probably make that soon. I've never had the traditional kind I don't think, but my mom used to make a version of it by just making the potatoes, meat, and veggies separately and we'd just make a pile on our plates lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a great app to bring to a party! so cute and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love love love Shepherds Pie, this is a fabulous idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm getting really hungry looking at those photos! That's such an awesome idea for an appetizer, though to be completely honest I don't know if I've ever had shepherd's pie before. It looks really tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea! Those look beyond amazing! Saving this recipe to make one weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love everything in mini form......helps for portion control ;-) That looks soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These look amazing! Anything in mini form is great in my book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness these look so good!! I think I'll try them than bring them to Thanksgiving dinner if they turn out good!

    Mae @ Endlessly Ever After http://raymond-rader.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, these look so good! I've never made Shepard's pie but love it. Sounds like a good fall recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. John loves shepherds pie! And I love all things mini! So this is pretty perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my gosh those look so good! Definitely need to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These look so fun! What are the "biscuits"? They lok like they're meant to be Yorkshie puddings? I make "real" cottage pie all the time, but this looks like it might be quicker. (The difference between cottag pie and shperd's pie is the meat).

    ~Bevchen

    ReplyDelete
  28. This looks delicious! I have to try this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top