Mini Apple Hand Pies


I don't think anything screams fall to me more than apple pie! Not to mention, there's always something special about making your own apple pie of some sort with the apples you picked (plus you know exactly what ingredients were used). Last year I made mini apple pies that were so cute and so easy to share, but this year I wanted to try something a little different- especially since baking something new was on my October to-do list.


My inspiration for these came from this recipe I found on Pinterest. I wasn't totally feeling the carmel in the recipe so I adjusted it to my own liking and it was good. Like I can't believe this is this good good.

This recipe is perfect if you're craving a homemade apple dessert but don't want to commit to an entire pie. I used ONE pie crust and ONE apple for 6 mini hand pies. You can adjust the recipe if you want to use two (or more) crusts, but I was saving the second one in the box for apple crumble cups I also made.

Ingredients: 
1 Pie Crust (I used Pillsbury because it was too easy not to!)
1-2 Apple/s (I used fuji because it was what we had picked at the orchard)
1 tbsp flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon (I added a little extra)
*the recipe called for lemon juice, which I would recommend but I realized we didn't have any at the last minute so I added a little bit of water to improvise.
egg wash (one tablespoon of water mixed with an egg)

1. I started off by creating the circles from the pie crust-- I used the top of a large shot glass (about 3 inches), and then set them aside in the refrigerator while I prepared the apples.


2. In a small bowl add chopped apples, flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice & mix well.

3. Put small amounts of the filling into the center of the circles-- make sure you leave enough room around the edges to pinch the sides together.


4. Use the egg wash as a sealant for the top and bottom layers of crust by painting some around the edges of the bottom crust.

5. Apply the top-- I found it easiest to pinch together the layers with my hands first and then go around with edges with a fork.

6. Brush egg wash on top of the pies, cut two slits in the top, and sprinkle with sugar


7. Bake for 15-20 minutes (the original recipe said to put the pies into the refrigerator for 30 minutes before baking... I put mine in for about 10-15 minutes and then I got inpatient)

Using store-bought crust is such an easy pie solution- I know these directions were probably pretty obvious, but I thought I would include them anyway :)


I recommend serving with ice cream... and they are delicious! As with most things mini these are easy to transport (take to parties and gatherings) or package up for a hostess gift or even a holiday gift. You don't have to deal with the messiness that comes as soon as you slice into a full size pie.

On the subject of pies...if you're looking for a more traditional mini pie recipe check out Kerry's post, where she makes the most delicious looking mini pies (and she has a recipe for your own crust).

Are you a fan of mini pie variations?
What's your favorite kind of pie? 

(linking up: Emily, Katie & Lisa)

45 comments

  1. These look sooo good! And are the perfect size dessert for two people... it's too dangerous to have an entire pie because I'll eat the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mini pie's because you don't have to worry about having to waste any pie and easy to travel. Love a good traditional apple pie! Thank you for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are SUPER CUTE. And easy! I'm pinning htem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been waiting for this recipe since you mentioned it last week!! These are so cute and would be such a hit at any party!! I think this means you can eat more than two right - since they are mini?! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look amazing! I love that they are little! Yum!

    www.madeintheshadeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so delicious and fairly easy! I definitely will be giving this a shot. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the inspiration! I'm thinking that I should make these little fellas this weekend! They're adorable and I'm sure they taste great too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh those are the absolute cutest little pies! I'm so impressed, I don't think I could pull those off! Thanks for linking up, I'm totally adding this to my Fall baking list :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so freakin cute!!! I'm drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I''m not a big apple pie fan - but these are just too cute and look yummy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh gosh, they are so cute!!! Yum, I love apple pie (the only type of pie I like really..) - that's what I love about baking too is that you know exactly what's in your food and usually it's just a few simple ingredients. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look AMAZING!! Pie is always so messy and these look like a perfectly clean (?) pie lol. I also like any food you can just grab and go :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember helping my grandmother make pies as a kid and using a fork to decorate the edges. I haven't attempted to make any myself recently so thanks for sharing! These looks so pretty and delish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. apple pie is my favourite. i could eat it all the live long day. i also love apple turnovers, with the puffy pastry. i love lemon meringue pie as well. but apple wins all the days.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are so cute! My hubby is OBSESSED with apple pie! These would be fun to make with my daughter, too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm obsessed with apple pie, these are really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dustin would love these, and me too. Anything served hot with ice cream is a fave of mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Girlfriend, these are seriously adorable!!! I wish I had a party to make them for - and not surprisingly, the best part about them is that they are mini :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG these are so cute. It reminds me that I need to break out my mini pie maker that I have from William Sonoma. It makes the perfect dessert. Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are adorable, what a fabulous idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are such a great idea and so cute! I love them and will definitely have to try these out. They seem less intimidating than a whole pie for some reason :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would be popping these into my mouth - no time to wait for them to cool off hah. My mom makes something like this using rolled out Pillsbury biscuits and stuffing them with apricot preserves. Love an easy spin on an apple pie!

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh my word!!! So easy and looks soooo yummy! thanks for sharing!
    XO sarita it's my girls' world

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW these are so perfect. PERFECT! Salivating right now, thankyouverymuch. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are so cute! What a great idea, especially b/c I can never finish a pie before it goes bad.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the simplicity of this recipe and it looks delicious! Happy Tuesday :)
    www.lovecompassionatelee.com/behindthescenes

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks like a great recipe and they look so fancy! I love your blog, following along! xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Omg these are so stinkin adorable!! A bite-size pie is such a great idea & I can't wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. These are too cute! And mini size is the perfect snacking size. Plus when I have 30 people will never know! ;)

    <3, Pamela
    sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I agree, this is my favorite time of year to make apple pies. These look delicious!

    Jessica xo
    the way to my Hart

    ReplyDelete
  31. These are too cute! Definitely taking some inspiration to use up the rest of the apples we picked before they go bad!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Delicious! Great blog, I have followed you with Bloglovin, if you ever get a chance to check out my blog I would be delighted, thanks!

    Camille xo

    www.cococami.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  33. Mark totally loves apple pie I think he would totally dig this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ok, these look amazing and totally scrumptious!! You seriously always have the best recipes!! I like that this is an easier, low-key version of my favorite fall dessert!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  35. These look amazing! I'll have to try them out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  36. too cute! I've been wanting to try this, but caramel apple! They just sounded so good.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Those are amazing, Carly! They look so professional AND delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  38. These look sooooo cute and possibly easy to make. Must try for Christmas parties!
    xoxo,

    Nikki at Bedazzles After Dark

    Enter my giveaway for $150 OCJ Apparel Gift Card here

    ReplyDelete
  39. These look AMAZING! I need to try! I'm all for anything apple.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I made these today for my Sunday ladies lunch and will be linking to the recipe in my blog tomorrow, also shared it on my facebook page. They were stupid easy and delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  41. These look ahhh-mazing! I have a serious addiction to apple pie so these are perfect!
    Ps: Although I'm so behind on reading your blog, I did just read your latest post about cutting out sweets...which is something I have to do too...after I try these! haha!
    Pps: I haven't read any blogs in a few weeks...but yours was the first this morning! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top