Wannabe

tracytris

The Beginning. 

Growing up I did dance, swimming, and soccer for a few years but I was never dedicated or motivated to really care.

I ran track in middle school and it started off as being something I did because all of my friends were doing it-- I still kind of remember the moment I realized I had a little bit of speed, when playfully racing a friend at one of our first practices.

As it turned out I was actually pretty decent at sprinting and would go on to run the 70m and 100m and usually place. I was never the fastest girl on the team, but I was up there.

Entering high school I continued sprinting running the 100m, 200m, 4x100 and 4x200. For a while I was on the a team with our 4x100 relay team, which was great, but the truth was I just couldn't keep up-- I really just wasn't good enough, and once again I just wasn't competitive enough to really care.

It's funny how specific moments stick out in your mind. I can pretty vaguely remember the moment when my coach decided to tell me they were going to move me back to the b team-- it was the same moment my mom showed up at the track with my new inhaler (I could never breathe and had recently been told I had exercise-induced asthma). I'm sure I cared more than I ever let on, but truly I wasn't competitive, and after 10th grade I quit track all together.

Looking back, I wish I would have stuck with it-- 11th grade was the start of a difficult time for me, as I think so many people have self-esteem issues when they're 15/16 years old, but that's another story for another day.

Needless to say after 10th grade I wasn't active at all. In college we were required to take three gym courses, I took tennis, tap dance, and an intensive cardio class-- all three were surprisingly difficult. I went on "runs" with friends, but they were never very serious and I'm sure I could never keep up.

Today.

If you've been following my blog for a while you might know I started the Couch 2 5k program twice. Due to different life happenings, something always came up and I was never able to see the program all the way through.

While I was using it, it really seemed to work-- it was hard- but it worked. There were weeks I was so embarrassingly excited about my minimal achievements. The furthest I got was up to jogging 5 minutes without stopping-- I know that doesn't sound very impressive, but when I started I could hardly run for 60 seconds without stopping.

As far as exercising goes, it has never been that easy because, 1). I'm out of shape and 2). the whole asthma component. Plus, I'm not good at pacing myself. Even though it has been years since I was on a track, whenever I run I want to go full speed ahead-- that clearly doesn't work when you're trying to run for distance!

So here we are at the end of September, and I'm ready to start again. I guess I would classify myself as a wannabe runner.

I'm so excited that Tracy and Alyssa created this linkup each month to help hold me accountable.

23 comments

  1. So excited for you to start the Couch 2 5k! Third time is always the charm :) I need to do this myself.. I've never, ever been a runner but I really want to be! If only so I can participate in a color run.. those always look so fun, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did so many activities growing up but never dedicated myself to just one thing and now I wish I would have! I've never tried the Couch 2 5k program... I just can't see myself ever being able to fully run a 5k, but good job on starting up again! You can do it this time!!

    <3, Pamela
    sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to do so well because you want to this time!! I think the asthma is really hard because you feel like you can really push yourself but there is that level of worry if you do what happens to your breathing!! My goal this year was to run any race - 5k, 5 miler didn't matter...and I made it happen and let me tell you - I totally hate running!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Couch 2 5K is a great program! I did it in early 2013 and I finished a half marathon in December 2013. Stick with it. You will be amazed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for trying again, running is not easy!! I've never been good at running (I've had asthma since I was little)... I did competitive dance and my sister did all of the sports lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have run half marathons but I always start again with C25K ... & I'm going to be going back to do it again.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Katie, 3rd time is a charm :) I totally relate girl, this time last year I couldn't run 60 sec without dying. Now I'm so proud I can run over a mile! That is nothing to most, but everything to me! We all have our own thing, so 5 minutes is awesome. You will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, so happy and excited for you!! Running is not easy and you have the asthma thing, boo. My running 'career' started off a bit weird, I didn't want a friend to know that I didn't run so I just ran 5kms with her (and almost died) and then I tried to run on the treadmill and failed... and then I used the couch to 5k. Pretty sure thats where everyone starts ;) I seriously 'started' it like 7 times. No shame! You go girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. YES! Yes, yes, yes! I am SO pumped for you. Getting to that 5 minute mark is HUGE, don't let anyone tell you it isn't. Running is HARD, period, and all those "little" accomplishments are important. I'm so glad you're giving it another go and can't wait to hear all about your progress every step of the way. Way to go!! Thanks so much for linking up! :)
    (PS-mind if I add your link to the linkup form so we can share your post with the class?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ignore the PS – just saw that you got yours up there. Woo!

      Delete
  10. You got this girl! You can do it. It's really hard to stay motivated but if you want to stick with this, you have to make it a priority. Set small goals for yourself at the beginning and before you know it you'll be running that 5k faster than you expected. So pumped for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's great that you put in the effort to run! It doesn't matter if you run for 5 or 30 minutes, what matters is that you got out there and were active :) a 5 minute jog is better than no jog at all! I'm the same way, it takes me a while to get used to running for longer than 5 minutes but once you get there you feel so accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can totally do it. I think the C25K really helps you start slow and build up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can totally relate. After finishing the race I was training for this summer, I totally let myself get back to old habits. I'm trying to kick myself into going back to the gym 3 x per week now but it's been a struggle. Life always gets in the way, and the gym is the first thing to go since I don't particularly love it anyway! I think we can both do it though :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you for starting again! I definitely need to get back in the gym after our vacation - I feel like I gained 20 lbs! We are all rooting for you, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Keep up the great motivation, lady! Fingers crossed it rubs off on me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love couch 2 5k!!! You're going to do great this time and you have all of us here to keep you accountable :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know you told me before that you used to be a sprinter, but damn girl!!! I totally get what you mean, I played sports when I was younger but I wasn't competitive enough to really take it seriously. Now that I'm older, I kind of wish I had stuck with them more.
    Pacing is a hard thing to learn, but I'm sure it's especially hard given your background. So so so excited for you to start c25k again and for everything that's ahead. You got this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Between reading all of y'alls posts today I swear I am that close to getting back into running again!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You got this! You can do it, I used the couch to 5k program and it's really awesome if you can stick with it! I'm using the couch to 10k for my goal this month :) Let's rock it out together!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can understand how you feel. I started the C25k program a couple of times too. I'm actually running pretty consistently now, but I remember when I first started and I could barely run 60 seconds-I thought that minute would never end. Now I can easily run a mile without stopping, which is HUGE for me. I'm training for a 5k at the end of this month. It's not easy, but I can feel myself getting better, which is a big help to keep me motivated. I just worry that I'll fall off the training once winter hits. Good luck with your training--you can do it girl!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top