Slow Cooker White Bean Soup

Happy Tuesday everyone! September is just flying right by, isn't it? I'm here with a recipe post today and am linking up with Emily & Mary, so make sure you check up their linkups for more great recipes!  

I actually made this soup for the first time on a rainy day back in August. It was the week after our vacation and I was in need of some kind of a comfort food. I came across Robin's recipe on pinterest and it was just what I was looking for so I gave it a try!

I cut the recipe in half because my husband usually isn't a fan of white beans, but even he really enjoyed it & I imagine it would freeze well.

2 15.5 oz can of white beans
1/2 red pepper
1/2 sweet potato*
1/2 jalapeno (seeds or no seeds depending on your heat preference)
1/2 yellow onion
2-3 cloves garlic
~2 cups of vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
salt/pepper

*I should have used a full sweet potato but I was having the most difficult time chopping it, so I ended up only using half. 

The above ingredients are what I used to make half of the original recipe. I will also add that I ended up just using minced garlic you find in the spices aisle because my hand hurt so much from chopping everything else by that point. A food processor would have really come in handy! I poured enough broth in to cover the bottom while I added in the ingredients I was chopping. At the end I added in the white beans and then poured in enough broth to cover the entire mixture. I ended up going back about an hour later and adding a second can of beans since I didn't use as much sweet potato.

You're instructed to dice up the ingredients-- going back to the fact that I don't have a food processor and I hate chopping things, my version of the soup was more chunky; I liked the added color!

Robin used dry beans in her recipe but I wasn't able to find the ones I needed at the grocery store so I just used canned and it worked out fine. If you use dry beans make sure you soak them for at least 24 hours in advance!

The directions are simple-- you just dice/chop everything up and add it into the crock pot and it's ready in 4-6 hours.  [see the original/full recipe here]


While we're on the subject of soups. I also made this potato soup recipe Katie posted last year. I've tried quite a few different potato soup recipes and this is the only one that actually turns out! I made this again a couple of weeks ago and it was just as good. The only changes I make to the recipe is I use southern style hash browns (the little squares) instead of shredded & when I make it again I think I'll use cream of celery instead of cream of chicken. I would go as far as to say it's a pretty good copycat recipe for Panera's potato soup.

What are some of your favorite soup recipes?

30 comments

  1. this is fabulous! definitely making this, i have everything else except white beans lol. i love a good soup in the winter time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bean soup! I am in need of a new recipe though. Will be trying this next week :)

    www.didipie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! My husband would love this. And it's perfect for cool fall weather!

    www.madeintheshadeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. White bean soup has always been one of my favorite comfort foods! I need to try this out ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a great fall soup recipe!

    <3, Pamela
    sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This. Looks. DELICIOUS!!! Adding it to my rotation stat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never made soup in the slow cooker before, but this is perfect for the cooler temps we're getting and also it's a slow cooker recipe so I love that it does all the work for me haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, please! MMmmm. Thank you!! I'll have to put this one in my soup arsenal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious! I'm not a huge fan of beans, but I just may give this a try. It looks like the ultimate comfort dish. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy! So perfect for Fall! I just made a Black Eyed Pea soup!
    http://happilyevermock.blogspot.com/2014/09/its-beginning-to-look-lot-like.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing this recipe! It's perfect for the cool fall weather. I will have to try making it :) for some reason it made me crave chili!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is going on my Pinterest board ASAP!!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay for slow cooker recipes! This looks so good! I haven't ever done a bean soup in my Crock Pot. I'll definitely have to try this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a big fan of soup - it's comforting, tastes great, and makes me feel full virtually guilt free. My mum has the best squash & sweet potato, and roasted veggie soup recipes I can't wait to start making! Definitely going to add this one to the rotation!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh like the addition of sweet potato - who would have thought? And lots of crusty bread to sop up all the extra is a must, so good planning ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks amazing! I love soup in the fall. My favorite last year was a bacon corn chowder with Gorgonzola.

    ReplyDelete
  17. so yummy and healthy too!!! Love soup all through the year!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mmmm YES, bring on the slow cooker recipes! I'm sharing one tomorrow too :) This looks so good Carly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Comfort food + crock pot is always a win in my book! Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I could eat beans for days and slow cooker meals are one of my favorite:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum yum yum! I have a can of white beans I've been needing to use!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks amazing! And it's making me hungry!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bean soup is my favorite! I love that it's made in the crock pot, so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just recently discovered white beans and how versatile they are. Beans in general are amazing because they really beef up dishes, especially soups. This looks so good - crock pots are lifesavers during the colder months

    ReplyDelete
  25. Carly, I feel like this post was written for me! Its (already) starting to feel like Fall here in the mountains and I'm starting to search for soup/chili recipes. And if there's a crockpot involved I'm totally sold. Thanks for sharing this at DDT!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is perfect for fall - I may just have to make this for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That looks super delicious, healthy and filling! Will try this recipe this weekend :)

    XO Chloe
    A Latte Lipstick

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top