Recent Reads & Reviews

I apologize for this post being so incredibly late. I had the entire thing done by the end of August but was waiting to finish The Rosie Project so I could add in the review... I never ended up finishing the book, and I had already made the graphic so I didn't want to post until I was done. I haven't read at all this month, so I never finished the book & decided I would just share this post anyway. (sorry, longest ramble ever!)


When The World Was Young was set in NYC in the 1940s & 1950s which is what initially drew me into the book. I really enjoyed this book up until the very end-- I felt like Gaffney ran out of time or lost interest when she got to the end of the book. There were so many big changes & twists in the second half of the book and they were all crammed into a couple of chapters at the end- or simply not mentioned at all. It almost felt like two different books because the first half of the book is full of so much development and description. Overall, it was a lovely story but I was disappointed it seemed so incomplete in its final chapters (3 stars) (c/o netgalley)

I'm going to be honest, I loved Me Before You so much that I was a little disappointed with the first half of this book. I found it to be a tad slow and dragged out, but once I got about halfway through I was completely hooked and read the entire thing in a single day. The story follows Jess, a single mom, who has has a difficult life- she always sees things on the bright side and has a positive outlook in life, despite being dealt not the best hand. Both of her kids are bullied and I loved how one of them end up using blogging as a positive outlet. The bit about her love interest is predictable, but still well written and I was definitely attached to them and rooting for them to get together throughout the entire story. It isn't as good as Me Before You, but still one of my favorites this year. (4 stars) (c/o netgalley)

After seeing this book on almost every single summer reading list I felt like I needed to read it before the summer was over. I don't know if I had my expectations set too high or what the problem was but I really was not impressed with this book. I actually forgot I even read it until I went back to look at what books to add to this post! The one redeeming factor for me was that I actually read it while on a family vacation, so that was a little fun. Otherwise, I felt like there were too many characters and story lines going on at once and not enough time to really fully develop any of them. One of the saddest things about reading a book is when I don't connect or like any of the characters and that's exactly how I felt while reading this. I honestly didn't care what happened to any of them. Every once in a while there would be a good one-line of dialogue that was thought provoking, insightful, or funny, but other than that I was bored. (2 stars) 

After hearing so much talk about this book that I figured it was worth requesting from the library-- I didn't think it was worth all of the hype. I liked the story quite a bit, but I didn't care for the writing style at all. The ending caught me completely by surprise, which is always nice- but that wasn't enough to sway me to like the book overall. This is a book people either seem to really love or really dislike. I gave it 2 stars but it's all a matter of taste! (2 stars)

This was my first Rainbow Rowell book and it didn't disappoint! It switches between email correspondence between two girls and the narrator Lincoln. I wasn't really a fan of Lincoln through most of the book, but I loved the relationship between Jennifer and Beth-- reading the emails between them felt so REAL, Rowell did an amazing job giving them both their own voice and making it feel like a conversation you would literally have while emailing your BFF. The story takes place right before/during Y2K and I'm with Kristen on loving all the 2000s references. (3.5 stars)

Quirky is the one word that comes to mind when I think back to this book. I tend not to care much for books that have male narrators and I read this right after Attachments, so I was on the fence about that...(that's as far as I got! I liked it enough to finish it once I get back into the swing of reading)

ICYMI: I shared the BookSparks books I read these past two months in this post.

Have your reading habits changed now that fall has hit? What have you read recently? Any recommendations?

23 comments

  1. I haven't shared my July or August either. They included the rosie project and the vacationers too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Rosie Project! The main character reminded me of Sheldon from Big Bang Theory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh no, so did you end up finishing the rosie project? or you're going to? i literally just started it the other day. i am gong to read one plus one next. it sucks the others were such let downs, maybe thats why you're in a reading funk? bad books will do that to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i didn't mean to press submit lol. thanks for the shoutout, glad you liked attachments! it definitely wasn't life changing but i enjoyed it. and i did the same thing with my recent books post, made the graphic and then i had to finish the books haha. this time i'm making the graphic last ;)

      Delete
  4. Ironically I read more now than I did in the summer (i guess it's probably because I was knee deep in book release over the summer). I honestly didn't like Me before You (maybe just that style of book--I think my taste in books has changed whereI prefer more action (crime/mystery) style books rather than love stories), so I haven't tried any other Jo jo moyes. I LOVEEEEDDDDD attachments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! Trying to find a new book to dive into next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I freaking LOVED Attachments! I couldn't put it down. I really enjoyed You Before Me, but have yet to pick up One Plus One... Good to know you enjoyed it, I trust your judgement! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your reviews are always the best!! Attachments sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your book reviews! I read one book this summer (so pathetic, I know!)... just finished The Fault In Our Stars. I really liked it and can't wait to see the movie next!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am with you on The Vacationers. I think my expectations might have been too high. I really liked One Plus One but agree that it wasn't as good as Me Before You.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read The Rosie Project this summer also, and I really enjoyed it. The main character reminded me of The Big Bang Theory for some reason! I've seen everyone reading The Vacationers as well and I was considering reading it, but I'm glad you reviewed it. I think I probably won't end up reading it after all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love when you do these posts.. You give such honest reviews.. I seriously consider everything you say before I check out a book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The vacationers, we are liars and attachments are on my list but they seem lackluster now. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always love your (honest!!) reviews and am glad to hear I'm not missing out on The Vacationers. Loving Kitchen Confidential but need to finish it so I can pick up something new!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always so enjoy your book reviews - I wish I would have known about some of these before we leave for our trip tomorrow. I'm glad I'm not missing much with The Vacationers - I, too, had seen it everywhere and was curious what all the fuss was about. Now I won't waste my time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoyed The Rosie Project, and Rainbow Rowell is always on my must-read this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh I clearly hit "submit" too soon, as I meant my must-read "list"!

      Delete
  16. I’ve read both of Jojo Moyes’ previous books and need to read that one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just read That Night by Chevy Stevens and LOVED it! I highly recommend it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmm, I've read two of Jojo Moyes' books recently, but not this one. I actually didn't love Me Before You (I know I'm in the small minority there), but I did love The Girl You Left Behind!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so jealous of all the books you read! I used to read a ton but just haven't had the time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't read any of these (and have been reading like a fiend!). They're ALL (seriously - all) on my Goodreads list, so I need to get to it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top