Matte on my Mind (mini review of Sonia Kashuk Velvety Matte Lip Crayon)



I've dabbled in matte foundations, bronzers, and a few eyeshadows, but matte lips were something that never appealed to me... until now.

Nars Pure Matte Lipstick & Nars Velvet Matte Lipstick: The Nars Velvet Matte Lipstick is really the first Matte lipstick I remember hearing about and it's rated pretty highly. However, the packaging of the Pure Matte Lipstick is definitely a bit more appealing to me as you can just twist up the product. However, as someone with small lips the point of the Velvet Matte lipstick would probably be a better option for me.  Both products come in 14 shades varying from nudes to deep pinks and reds.

Bite Beauty Matte Creme Lip Crayon: Bite Beauty has been pretty high on my list of brands I want to try and I really love the size of this product. I have small lips, so a smaller pencil makes it easier to be more precise. Sephora offers 12 different shades, but you can also choose from three shades at J. Crew. For fall I'm loving brandy, a deep raspberry color.

Clinique Long Last Soft Matte Lipstick: I tend to have pretty good luck when it comes to Clinique and I think they're a great mid-range brand. Considering how much I love the chubby lip pencils, I would definitely be willing to try out this line of matte lipsticks for $16. From what I can tell pink chocolate is my shade of choice- a nice brown pink.

The drugstore is usually pretty on point with its lip products, so I'm interested to see how the matte lip products compare to the higher end brands.

NYX Matte Lip Cream: I'm still completely obsessed with frappuccino & I love the butter glosses so I definitely see myself giving these a try in the near future.

Revlon ColorBurst Matte Balm: I'm a big fan of the glossy version of these, and I tend to have pretty good luck with Revlon lip products in general, so I definitely want to give these a try.

Sonia Kashuk Velvety Matte Lip Crayon: As far as packaging goes this is most similar to the Nars Velvet Matte Lipstick, I mean even the name is pretty similar.

I picked one up at Target recently in the shade blossomy nude*, and while I wasn't a fan of the color the overall feel of the lip crayon was pretty impressive. The product went on smooth and actually felt quite moisturizing. It did feather a bit, so I need to use a lipliner when wearing it just to be on the safe side.

I wasn't crazy about the packaging, I could see the top coming off in your bag since it doesn't click or snap on. It's also a little bit of a hassle that you have to sharpen the product, the other lip crayons I've used twist up, which is obviously more convenient.

If I was a bigger fan of the color, the pros would outweigh the cons, but since SK is only available at Target and you can't return opened cosmetics, I probably won't try another one.

*I thought it would be more nude and less pink

Shop the products:

Are you a fan of matte lips? What are your favorite matte lip products?

One last thing! I'm sharing my bookshelf on Sarah's blog today! I'd love if you stopped by :) 

22 comments

  1. I'm so glad you shared some matte options, because for bold colours I prefer matte lipstick. I really want to try the NARS one since all of the reviews were pretty good, and they have lots of nice colours. I do like the Revlon ColorBurst matte balm, I think it's a good drugstore option!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh so I have that Revlon balm in a bright fuchsia color and the cap came off while it was in my beautiful MK purse and now I have fuchsia all over the pretty tan interior of my purse. Definitely won't be buying one of those again. I was curious about the Sonia Kashuk one but if I might have the same problem I'm going to just skip it. I've been dying for a deep matte red for fall though!

    <3, Pamela
    sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love BITE's lip products - they are probably the most fun to wear because the color stays on so well and I love how matte they are!! The NYX one is going on my list to try!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to try a BITE product for a long time! That may be my next Sephora purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BITE has the best matte lipstick! I picked up a $12 one from Sephora before our Charleston trip and used it almost the entire weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is this a new thing that Target doesn't take them opened?? I swear I've returned foundation that was 394754 shades to dark for me and they've taken it back, maybe not though? Also, try NYX matte lipsticks, LOVE THEMMM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't wear lip products that much so I find it hard to justify high end price tags, but I'm a big fan of the NYX matte lip cream formula. I have Tokyo which is really pale and sometimes hard to pull off, but I have Monte Carlo (deep red) on my wish list for fall! I'm also really looking forward to trying out the new matte lipsticks that Maybelline has come out with. I hear great things about them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great picks, I would also like to try Revlon:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The shade of the Clinique lipstick is not too dark so I think I could give matte a try thanks to you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love me some matte lippies! I do like the NYX ones and have a Nars one I like too. I may have to look at the SK colors just for fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It took me a while to get into matte lips too, and now I love them! I have the Revlon matte, and I absolutely love it! I have to remind myself to mix things up and not wear it every day! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll have to try the NYX kind - I don't wear lip stuff too often so I never break the bank and try expensive ones!

    www.madeintheshadeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. NYX has definitely become a favorite lip gloss of mine. Other than it being dirt cheap, I seriously love their variety of colors and the texture of the glosses aren't too sticky as some tend to be.

    ReplyDelete
  14. aint nobody got time to sharpen things, lol. i dont think i'll be trying this one, not that i've ever used a lip crayon before ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have lips on the bigger side and a tendency toward dry skin from head to toe so while I LOVE the look of matte lips, it take a bit of prep work for me so it's not an every day thing (exfoliate, moisturize, repeat). I do LOVE the Revlon lip stains though and want to pick up a matte fall shade soon. And I actually have a Nyx Matte Lip Cream! They've got great pigmentation and go on really silky, but they can be drying so make sure to moisturize!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Does Target not take back cosmetics? I actually returned shampoo + conditioner the other day that I didn't like. It might be worth a try!

    I haven't tried a matte lipstick before, but I do love matte foundation and eye shadow! May have to try the NYX or Revlon soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. great review! i have a sephora matte bright red lip crayon and i love it! xo jillian - stop by! I'm hosting a Graphic Image datebook giveaway on cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am such a beginner when it comes to any lip wear other than Chapstick - so this was super helpful! I actually love the look of a matte lip, so I may have to experiement with a couple of these!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent review! Based on your recommendation, I think I'm going to check out the NYX version, especially since I already love the butter glosses, too. :)

    xo Always, Abby

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love matte lips for fall, so I'm excited to try some of these products!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have the Clinique Chubby Stick and love it. So glad to know you like the Revlon. I'll definitely be trying out a few new shades :) I'll probably stick with the glossy, though. Not sure how I'd feel about matte.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top