A Post About Skincare

I've struggled with my skin basically my entire life. I think I've had about five thousand visits to the dermatologist but I never really found a product, medication, or routine that seemed to really make a difference. With that being said, as long as my skin isn't a major disaster, I'm generally pretty happy and it doesn't bother me as much as you'd think.

This spring I did a little experimenting with limiting dairy in my diet because I thought it was having negative impacts on my skin. At first I thought it made a difference but after a few weeks I realized it really didn't have an impact at all. The change I was seeing was due to the change in the seasons, and the fact that I was finally getting a little bit of sunlight after what felt like eight months of winter!

My skin type has always been oily, acne-prone, and sensitive. In the past year my skin has been far less oily and I really think a lot of these things have helped with that. My forehead is still really oily, especially in warm weather, but it's no longer a major concern for me.

CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser: I have to thank Katie for the CeraVe recommendation. Back in January my skin was probably the worst it had ever been-- I had been using way too much benzoyl peroxide, and not moisturizing, so my skin was so horribly dry it was a mess. This is for dry to normal skin, so I thought about switching to something else once my skin was out of the dry phase, but I like it so much I've been using it ever since. This is also the cleanser I use with my clarisonic.

Aveeno Ultra-Calming Moisturizer: This is another product I picked up during that dry phase. At first I wasn't sure how much it actually helped with reducing redness (which is its main claim), but I think it does help over time and I like how gentle and lightweight it is, and it contains SPF.

Clinique Dramatically Different Gel: This is another favorite moisturizer that I can't say enough good things about. It's light weight and very gentle on the skin. In the past I've used moisturizers that feel like they just sit on top of your skin- this one sinks right in, so you don't have to wait forever to start applying your makeup in case you're in a rush.

Neutrogena On-the-Spot: I've talked about this a few times on the blog before, but this is really the best spot treatment I've ever used and I've tried everything from Proactiv to Clinique to Philosophy. It has just the right amount of benzoyl peroxide to be effective without being harsh on your skin-- and it blends into your skin so you can wear it under your makeup. For me, benzoyl peroxide works really well on any hormonal or under the skin acne.

I find that charcoal or sulphur masks work the best for my skin type. Most of them double as an overnight spot treatment which is a nice bonus. The Mario Badescu Drying Mask and the Origins Clear Improvement Mask are two of my favorites.



My Clarisonic Mia 2 is also essential to my skin care routine. I've had it for a year and a half now, and I've gone through periods of not using it as much, and my skin definitely appears happier and healthier when I use it regularly. The Mia 2 has two speeds, but I really can't tell a difference between the two. Because I have sensitive skin I use the sensitive skin brush heads, and I use it 2-4 times a week.

My skin is not perfect, and as you would expect, when I'm eating better, drinking water, and exercising, my skin is in a lot better shape. I'm always on the hunt for a new product, but these are a few that I find work well for my skin.

What are your favorite skin care products? Do you use a Clarisonic? 

32 comments

  1. The clarisonic looks really neat. I use coconut oil to cleanse my face nightly. It works so well for me. I didn't break out a ton, but here and there and it keeps my skin under control extremely well. I love cliniques moisturizer also! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to break out my bottle of Clinique DDL- it is crazy how something that seems so *basic* works so well! I usually use something heavier come winter, but it's especially nice going into fall/this in-between season. I'm glad you've found some things that work for your skin type!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely little red friend decided to make a home on my chin today, so you definitely have me interested with the Neutrogena product. I've never tried an acne spot treatment before but I probably should because I do experience a few hormonal breakouts and it drives me nuts waiting for them to disappear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've wanted the Clarasonic for a while now! Everyone's reviews are awesome. Maybe I'll put it on my birthday list!

    www.madeintheshadeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. My moisturizer is running low, so I have been considering getting the Aveeno Ultra Calming one, also because of great reviews. I'm glad to see that you liked Mario Badescu drying mask, everything of theirs that I've tried has been amazing! I really need to splurge on a Clarisonic, maybe I'll save it for a Christmas wish list :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that Origins mask! I used it just last night! :) And I'm obsessed with my Clarisonic! :)

    <3, Pamela
    sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to say the number one thing that made a huge difference in my skin was drinking water. I also found when I started running regularly this year (being someone who was NOT athletic or active AT ALL before that) that my skin behaved a little more. As for products I use: the same spot treatment. My clarisonic. Clean & Clean 10% benzoyle peroxide cleanser (I don't remember the name) at night with my clarisonic. Morning I use clinique acne solutions cleanser followed with the aveeno skin brightening cleanser to help with my acne scars! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to splurge on the Mia because the Olay version was about shot after a year. How long is the Mia warranty good for? We definitely have the same skin type (all over the place ha).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been using a on the spot acne cream from Clean & Clear and I don't think it does anything. I will try the Neutrogena one next. I've been battling acne on my chin/jawline area over the last year. I have very clear skin, this has been my first issue and it's driving me nuts. I think it's hormonal, but the other thing I've found in researching it is it could be dairy related. However, I've not changed my dairy intake and I really don't consume a lot. Stupid hormones!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i would never have guessed that you had skin issues, you're gorgeous! but i feel you, i've had trouble with mine when i was younger (15-23). i used proactiv and dermalogica and clinique. i took some pill the doctor prescribed, and i put on this oily stuff every night - i tried a few different things and they never worked so i stopped and cried myself to sleep instead. i also used to eat like crap + drink a lot of 'real' soda as well. when i was diagnosed as celiac, i stopped eating gluten and i started drinking more water and switched from coke to diet coke. i have noticed, personally, my skin is so much better - when i eat gluten holy moly does it flare up. not cute. seriously, i have a big red dot next to my nose right now because i ate so much gluten over labor day. its amazing how fast it clears up when i stop eating gluten, like i'm supposed. i'm not saying yours is the same or anything at all, but i would never have thought it was caused by that. and maybe its not, maybe its a huge weird coincidence but i think not.
    Also, you changed your blog! or am i crazy?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cant afford the clarisonic but have the cheap version & love that... so I know if I ever can afford it, I'm buying it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the new look! Very interesting that cutting out dairy didn't do anything for you. That's one thing I haven't tried, but I want to try cutting out dairy anyway, mainly for other reasons but it will be interesting to see how it affects my skin.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I fell in love with gel moisturizer formulas when I tried the Clinique one in university. I just bought another bottle while I was at a CCO because it was discounted, but I've also picked up a few more gel formulas so I'm thinking of doing a round up of all of them once I've tested them all out. I also am a big fan of the Clarisonic and the MB Drying cream. I've been getting some of the deep painful bumps lately and the drying cream is the only thing that makes a difference for me!

    I'm loving your new look! Thank you so much for putting me in your sidebar, you are the sweetest!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too cant tell the difference between the speeds lol!! I have heard amazing things about Mario Badescu Drying Mask! I also love the origins mask - recently I've been getting little tiny bumps on my forehead, but I have no clue what they are from...BOO!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE my Clarisonic! Mine broke and I was without it for a few months until I got a replacement. My skin is so much happier when I use it. I have pretty normal skin, but still pretty breakout prone. Even at 32. Blah!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Mia 2 was one of my smartest purchases EVER! It's made a HUGE difference in my skin! The texture is so much better overall since I've been using it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have the Mia 2 too, and I love it. I only use it once a week - any more and it dries my skin out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love my clarisonic mia. I've actually been told by multiple people that no one should be using the "normal" brush head unless they are a dude with a beard. Weird, right? I usually use the acne brushes because they're a little softer and less likely to irritate my already irritated skin!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Isn't it awesome how you grow up and your skin clears up and then you get old and you get wrinkles! Good for you for getting this pretty Mia 2 and being preventative! Hope you're having a fab night!

    tattered to taylored

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post, lady! I think we have very similar skin. I've religiously used Clinique moisturizers for years because they are the only ones that seem to work for me. I've unfortunately had to quit using my Clarisonic because it's too harsh on my skin, but I'm intrigued by the CeraVe cleanser.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this post. I've been having problems with my skin the last several months and I don't know what to do. It's like my skin decided to change overnight. I really want to try the Clarisonic, but I'll definitely give the other products a try!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Clarisonic is a MUST have. I love my Mia. I used it every night. It's amazing what it takes out after I've already removed my makeup. Insane.
    I also really love On the Spot! It's a great zit shrinker!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So glad the CeraVe worked for you! It's a lifesaver for my skin in the winter! As is my Clarisonic... I seriously couldn't live without it, I don't even care how dramatic that sounds!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've been wanting to get a Clarisonic Mia! I've started saving up my Birchbox points to get one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. i need to get my hands on a clarisonic!
    http://saltskinned.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  26. i have a post coming next week about my fave cleansers for every skin type and the cera ve is on there!

    ReplyDelete
  27. i havent tried the claisonic mia yet but that's because i have really sensitive skin -- i do loveee clinque dramatically different face lotion tho! i have been using it since i was 16! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  28. I looooove cerave as well! Eric and I are big fans!
    I'm dying to try a clarisonic! I think it would make a huge difference on my skin!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've had my clarisonic pro for YEARS now and I can't picture myself without it. I don't really use it everyday but I can always tell a difference when I do :)

    Kristen @ Your Beauty Fix

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm still dying to get a Clarisonic! I'm really hoping I get one for my birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. hello sweetie!!
    I`m here the first time & I wanna stay!
    How about follow each other?? I always follow back when I propose it :)
    I tell you that because I really love your blog! WOW!
    Pics so inspiring & descritpions are great!!!!
    so let me know sweetie!

    have a nice day!
    keep in touch :)
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  32. I totally get it. I've struggled with acne my whole life as well and it sucks! Luckily for me I did find that dairy was a big cause of my acne, which is pretty obvious when after a night of pizza I wake up with pimples on my chin My acne is localized to my lower face which is usually hormone related anyways. Not sure where yours is. Acnomel has been great for spot treatment for me but honestly if found something that works then keep at it! That's one thing I discovered is changing around your skincare trying to find the cure isn't good for your skin.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top