Kissing July Goodbye

You may have noticed there haven't been many lifestyle posts around these parts lately. That hasn't been intentional, only it kind of has been because July was just an off month. I think this past week was more productive and busy than the entire month of July.

Anyway, here's a little recap of July, all out of order, with a few favorites thrown in at the end.

I had a little bit of extra time before heading to a meeting one afternoon so I stopped in the American Art Museum to see the Pop Art exhibit. It was pretty small, but Flying Pizza was definitely my favorite work on display. A couple years ago the NGA had a Roy Lichtenstein exhibit that I really enjoyed, so this one seemed a bit lacking. If you're ever in DC the American Art Museum/Portrait Gallery is definitely a museum to check out. There's a beautiful atrium (left photo above), and let me tell you, walking into that glorious air conditioning on a sweltering hot day was heavenly! Later that evening on the way to meet my husband for dinner I walked by the White House and got a pretty good picture just as the sun was starting to set.



For the first time in maybe a year I curled my hair before dinner for my husband's birthday. I'm in desperate need of a curling wand with a larger barrel because my hair is so long it takes years to curl with a one-inch barrel. Naturally, my hair looked perfect right before I was going to bed (awkward hair selfie above!) I thought I would luck out with some second day curls, but it was completely straight. #soitgoes

Speaking of my hair I cut it recently with a pair of scrapbook scissors and cuticle scissors-- not the ends, but I added in a layer or two-- surprisingly you really can't tell I cut it myself and it feels 100x better!


We had dinner at Barcelona on 14th street; it's a wine and tapas bar and it was delicious. I'm not always the biggest fan of tapas but everything we had was delicious and it has a great outdoor space and open feel to it. I made pancakes for him for breakfast, and he requested the same double buttercream with berry cupcakes I made for our World Cup party in June. 

One of the sad things about living on the East Coast is that summer already feels like it's slipping away with the sun setting so much earlier. I'm still used to being in Michigan where it doesn't set until around 10pm. On the bright side, it means we start to see lightening bugs and have slightly cooler temps for jogging in the evening. Next week starts WEEK FOUR of C25K and I am embarrassingly proud of myself! I've loved talking running with Jo and Tracy

We went to Union Market one Saturday afternoon when we were on that side of town and I was really unimpressed. Our food was not good-- I'm not even that picky, but it was so greasy and inedible to me. It was overly crowded and felt inauthentic, I don't think we'll be back anytime soon. 

We celebrated my niece's birthday with everyone's favorite blue crabs. Later we caught up with friends who were in town briefly on their way to the Outer Banks, and caught the sunset over H Street from a rooftop. The weather has been amazing recently!

I had been so proud of myself for holding off on starting Orange is the New Black, because I haven't been watching as much TV and haven't felt like really binge watching anything. That all changed when I started watching The Wire and I zipped through the entire first season in a week. I'm completely obsessed!

Another monthly obsession or favorite is this Sally Hansen nail polish in mojito, I found it on sale for $3 at Target and it's such a pretty green/blue-- this is my first polish in this line and I was really happy with the formula!

Last thing is the app Bonza, it's a seriously addicting word puzzle game that's kind of similar to a crossword puzzle. 

Due to my obsession with The Wire, I didn't read as much as I had planned this month. Next on deck to read I have: The Vacationers, The Invention of Wings (thanks shelby!), The Mapmaker's Daughter, and Yeah, Maybe.

So this was a whirlwind of a post and ended up being pretty lengthy! Thank you to anyone who read through all of it- or at least most of it ;) What were your July highlights? Can you believe it's already August? It's pretty hard to believe! I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Linking up for H54F & Friday Favorites since these were my favorites of the whole month :) 

32 comments

  1. Your hair looks so pretty curled! My hair doesn't like to hold a curl. And LOVE that nail polish. So pretty!

    <3, Pamela
    sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hair looks great :) I'm enjoying all of your food photos, they are making me hungry! I cannot believe it's August already, summer goes by way too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy moly, your hair is so SO long! It looks beautiful curled. I also love that nail polish shade. It looks like you had a great month of July - hopefully August is just as good! Have a fabulous weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can definitely relate to summer posts getting away from me, and blogs headed in a direction they weren't always intended to go. I'm in the same boat as life has taken over leaving less time for cooking and reading.
    Now that it's a new month I'm sure you'll get back into the swing of things.
    Have a great Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummm your hair looks sooooo pretty (and super healthy)!!
    And yay for getting out and running...I seriously could talk running (and blogging haha) all day!! With that said, how are you find the C25K? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that nail polish! I actually saw it at my last run to target, but wasn't sure so I decided to skip for now. I will definitely have to try it out now! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I mean I can't even handle your hair - it's gorgeous!!! I feel the same way about Tapas...it's usually a hit or miss and I end up leaving early!! I have another color in that same line of polishes and agree - the formula is really good!! Also, I can't imagine seeing the white house on my walk home...amazing!! Happy Friday doll!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your hair is gorgeous!! I'm so jealous. Mine never holds a curl. That tapas place looks yummy. You are so lucky to live in DC! Great pictures. Have a great weekend girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your hair and I have that nail polish and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hair is so pretty! I wish mine were that long! That nail color is a great one!

    www.madeintheshadeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your hair! YOUR HAIR!!! Good lord, woman! Also, you are totes brave for cutting it yourself! The summer before freshmen year of college, I forced my husband (then boyfriend) to cut layers into my hair. Let's just say...I rocked a pixie for a while after it had to get fixed. True story. Thank you for the shout out, sweet girl!! I might look into the wire--I need a new show!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have awesome hair. My hair is very thick and long also and I never style it.. lol I pin lots of inspirations though just in case I have an extra hour one day. Love that nail color!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your hair is so gorgeous girl! Love that sweet picture of the 2 of you too :) Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OK... so I don't even know what tapas are. I need to get out more often.
    you're doing c25k? Its the best program! Good luck in week 4 - time creeps up more & more :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that mojito color! And okay, I'm so glad to hear someone else wasn't thrilled with Union Market. It's like right down the street of where my friend lives in DC so we visited it last year and he could not stop raving about it! Mike and I thought it was just alright... but they did have pretty good ice cream ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your hair looks amazing, and so long! I love Tapas when they are don't right. It was so dark this morning, boo! Love the nail color, so bright and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your hair!! and that nail color is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Despite the "awkward hair selfie" those curls are amazing! Pretty, pretty. And I love the fact you cut yourself some layers with cuticle scissors!!! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So much goodness. Love, love tapas date nights and sadly we don't really have a good tapas place here! Your hair looks so gorgeous all curled. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh, you have some serious will power holding off from OITNB!! You're going
    to love it.
    Also, love that nail color. So pretty for summer

    ♥ http://ahappinessundefined.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I feel ya on the long hair, girlfriend - I'm getting a trim tomorrow and I cannottttttt wait to feel alive again!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How is July over already?! Love that nail color!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I lovvvve that nail color! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your hair is gorgeous! I can't believe you cut it with cuticle and scrapbook scissors! I wish I had your skills!! Hope you have a fabulous weekend!

    xo,
    Lindsay

    www.pinkandfabulous.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. love your hair! and yeah, mine always looks best at the end of the night too. sigh. and i feel like summer is slipping away too. it's august already - ahhh!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It looks like July was an awesome month for you! I really want to go to Washington, D.C. and see the White House (plus everything else in the city). I love your curly hair! It's so pretty! I can't believe you cut layers into your hair with scrapbook scissors. You're so brave! Those blue crabs look delicious! Mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think I need to rewatch the first episode of The Wire... everyone LOVES it but I couldn't get into it and fell asleep! You look so pretty on your date night and that picture of the White House is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. your hair is gorgeous! my hair wouldn't hold curl when it was longer, so i chopped it off. lol. the only way it would hold curl is if i wasted a whole can of hairspray in one go, and thats ridiculous. my hair is super fine and thin, so who knows! july was a bit of an off month for me too, its kind of awkward. lol. i'm not into the wire, but my husband LOVES it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. July was an off month for me too. Ugh. Do you really like The Wire?! Ben got a little into but I fell asleep halfway through the first ep. I know everyone says it's so good but it just didn't do anything for me. You are so gorgeous...my hair only looks like that in my dreams. I am SO. PROUD. of you working through C25K! You are going to be so happy when it starts cooling off - then the real fun begins ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Can you be anymore beautiful? I want your long hair! I miss mine so much. Bed Head makes an awesome curling wand that has a big barrel on it. I think it's only like $30 bucks at Ulta! That nail polish looks great on your skin as well. Cute notebook also. So much fab in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your curls look so pretty! I need to start curling my hair my often since I just bought a bug barrel and haven't used it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You're so pretty, Carly! Your hair is beautiful! I totally get the straight by the end of the night thing. That's why I rarely curl mine...doesn't last long at all.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top