An Overdo Vacation Recap (pure michigan)

I've been meaning to do a vacation recap ever since we got back from our trip but I haven't been able to find the motivation to upload all of the pictures. I figured I would probably never do it, so instead I'm sharing a few pictures from my parent's camera because Michigan is too beautiful not to share. I am a little worried these pictures won't do it justice because it truly is pure Michigan

I know people don't ever think of Michigan as a place to visit for their travel bucket list, but West/Northern Michigan really is something amazing. If you're a fan of the outdoors or water sports, it's a must see! We were in Ludington for the week and enjoyed the gorgeous beaches and clear (though cold) water. It’s an extremely small town, and even during a peak summer week it was never very busy anywhere we went.
 


We had a great view of the harbor all week-- which was perfect for the morning we had to be up early for charter fishing. We had a great time but sadly only caught two fish the entire time we were out on the water. My husband and brother were the lucky two who caught fish this time! 


We also headed to the Ludington State Park and took a nicelong two mile walk barefoot in the sand to the lighthouse. It's hard to explain but the majority of the time you're walking it's just you and the water because the dunes are on the other side of you and it's all you can see in any direction. 


pictures from my phone
perfect sand
Before we left the weather forecast for the week was completely awful-- it was forecasting 70 degree days with rain almost every day. The actual forecast ended up being amazing! Everyone said we got the best week of the entire summer-- not a drop of rain and 78/80 degree days! 

We also went to the Silver Lake Sand Dunes but most of those photos are all on my husband's phone so I'll save those for another post. I think the best part of the trip was getting to share with my husband, what we experienced most summers growing up. Even though DC isn't that far away from Michigan, I still get incredibly homesick so I'm so thankful and grateful that I got to spend such an amazing week with my family. I can't wait until I get to see them again! 

33 comments

  1. Looks like you had a great vacation! I've never been to Michigan, but now I definitely want to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I've always wanted to go on a fishing trip like that. Too bad you didn't catch much, I'm sure it was fun just to be out there, though.
    I think there are so many places that are just crazy underrated. Sounds like Michigan is one of them! Glad you had a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That lighthouse is beautiful!! Looks & sounds like a wonderful trip. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it weird that I hear Tim Allen's voice when you write Pure Michigan?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michigan in the summer sounds amazing!! So happy you had a great vacation!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great pictures, looks like such a nice time!! I used to go to Michigan every summer because I had family there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love light houses... so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so pretty! I've never been to Michigan but love anything to do with the beach & boating!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a perfect vacation Carly, I loves the pictures of you and your hubby :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like so much fun! I love the light house picture!

    www.madeintheshadeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is the most perfect sand I've ever seen in my life ha - so pretty. Love all the pics and glad you guys had such a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing vacation! So jealous! And that lighthouse is gorgeous!

    <3, Pamela
    sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never been to Michigan, but it looks like an amazing place. It's crazy how much it looks like the beach at the ocean! What a fun trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yey some Michigan love - this is what I find hard about being a Michigan based blogger and trying to write about the things to do here, it's pretty much off the tourist radar, especially when it comes to folks back in the UK! Everyone just wants to hear about NYC. Looks like you had a great time though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like so much fun! What a beautiful beach!

    xx
    Lauren Elizabeth
    Petite in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  16. Goodness it looks beautiful! My family is from Michigan but our area definitely isn't that beautiful! Or that warm ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Michigan really can be beautiful! I've never been to Silver Lake... people always say it's amazing though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. looks like you had a great time, you and your husband are so cute! i must admit, Michigan has never been on my travel bucket list simply because I didn't know anything about it. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely photos to remember your time :)

    xx
    http://missluludarling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. As a Michigander this makes my heart happy! Your pictures are great! We have family in DC and will be visiting in October so I'll have to raid your blog for some vacation ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always hear pure Michigan commercials on the radio but I never though it actually looks as nice as your photos! Sounds like you had an awesome time and the beaches look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great photos, everything looks amazing and so much fun:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. You guys are so cute! Yay for an awesome week and for good weather!!! Thank goodness the forecast was wrong! I l.o.v.e. Ludington.. we spent all summer up there when I was in elementary/middle school so there are so many great memories :) Can't wait to hear about Silver Lake!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great pics!! Looks so fun. Vacations really are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks like such a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  26. haven't been to Michigan in years!! loved seeing your vaycay!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Absolutely gorgeous! We used to go to Michigan to visit friends (who moved to San Francisco, sooo no one is losing). However, these pictures make me miss being there (despite water that never seems to warm up). You two are also SO cute, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Michigan is so great! I currently live in the Grand Rapids area, but I'm from West Michigan (actually not too far from Ludington, in a small town called Whitehall). Glad you were able to visit and enjoy some great weather!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Glad you enjoyed your trip to MI! I live in the northern thumb area and your right, people don't realize how great of a place MI is! Especially for the water! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top