Ulta Haul (NYX & L'OREAL)

I love when Ulta does the 40% off sale on brands like L'Oreal, Neutrogena, and NYX. It gives me the perfect excuse to try a few new drugstore products I've had my eye on. The usual Buy 1 Get 1 50% off is nice, but it's really not even that good of a deal if you think about it! I'm all for a sale where you get a discount on every item! Especially these days when I feel like many drugstore prices are rather high for the quality you often get.



What I do not love about Ulta is that it took four days just to process my order and then I was notified that some of my items were out of stock and completely removed from my order! I understand items being out of stock, but I don't get why they wouldn't be shipped out when available? Who knows, it's not a huge deal but I was a little disappointed.

On to the products I did receive... Its been a while since I tried a new lip product so I picked up the L'Oreal Colour Riche Extraordinary Lip Color. I was really torn between the shades scarlet concerto and rose sympathy so I ended up getting both of them-- using the price as the justification.

When I first tried scarlet concerto I thought I was going to hate these "liquid" lipsticks & was a little mad I ordered two, buuuut after figuring out the best way to apply them + how much product was needed I was in love! They are seriously the most moisturizing lip product I've tried in a long time- it feels like you have your favorite lip balm on- not a gorgeous color with shine!

These appear to be similar to the Revlon ColorStay Moisture Stain so I would love to compare!

I'm a huge fan of the NYX cream blushes and have heard the powder blushes are just as good. I chose terra cotta solely based on swatches I saw online & I was a little nervous it was going to be too shimmery but it's actually not that bad. The blush felt soft when I swatched it, but it didn't pick up as much product as I was expecting- hence why my swatch is not very good.

According to EssieButton terra cotta is a really good dupe for NARS luster. I'm interested to see how this applies on my face- it's really copper-toned, which is pretty, but I worry it might be a hint too orange for my skin tone.

Terra Cotta; Rose Sympathy; Scarlet Concerto
I've been on the fence about purchasing the Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation in a summer shade. I had a few samples during early spring and I fell in love with the coverage and finish. I had planned on purchasing it in my summer shade, but my skin has been about a thousand times better so I don't need as much coverage right now- I'd rather wait and buy it in a lighter shade in the fall/winter.

Looking for a lighter base I picked up the L'Oreal Magic Skin BB Cream in medium. I tried a sample of this forever ago and remember liking it, so for $5.99 I figured it was worth trying for a summer skin base. You can see from the swatch below it comes out as a white product with tiny flecks of color & when you blend it in, the color applies.

l'oreal magic skin bb cream

My first impression is pretty good- the color looks like it's going to work for me & from what I can tell from swatching, I like the finish! The one thing I'm not crazy about is the scent but it doesn't linger so that's a plus. If I end up liking it (or really not liking it) I'll possibly do a review post in the future! For now I found this video showing a pretty good before & after.

Have you tried any new drugstore products recently?


****Edit: I ended up returning the NYX blush because it just wasn't very pigmented, and sadly the L'Oreal BB Cream started to irritate my skin so I returned that as well. 

32 comments

  1. Looks like you definitely picked up some good products - I'd like to try those lip stains!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those lip stains! SO pretty! I'm heading to Ulta later, I'll have to see if they have these!

    <3, Pamela
    sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that BB cream - and now I want to get that blush!

    www.madeintheshadeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been on the fence about trying BB cream, do you have pretty sensitive skin? My skin has definitely been clearer this summer also, but I still get breakouts when I use certain products, even in the summer. I'm interested in seeing how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh i didnt know ulta did 40% off sales. that could be dangerous! i have been wanting to try that bb cream, so do let us know if you like it! also those lip colours look amazing, i wish i was better with lip stuff. maybe next time they have a sale i'll jump on that bandwagon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently got one of those L'Oreal lip colors, I am so in love! I definitely want more :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am with you on those 40% off sales! I feel like terra cotta is one of those colors that look really scary but is actually a hidden gem!

    Ivy xx
    Style Life Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love NYX blushes. I have a little collection going.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My hours exactly.. Buy one her one half off really isn't that great of a deal..!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been wanting to try the Loreal lip products and the Tarte foundation. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was going to pick up that BB cream when I was invited to a L'Oreal warehouse sale this year, but they didn't have it in my colour so I ended up going with the Garnier one and loved it. I think it will be my next BB purchase once I run out though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't tried anything new lately but I need to find a good mascara - any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keep us updated on the BB cream - I've always wanted to try some but have been skeptical. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loooove L'Oreal Magic BB Cream... it's my go-to BB Cream. Like you said, the finish is awesome. It's not heavy or greasy like a lot of other BB creams are.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have yet to try this BB cream, but it sounds like a really good one. Oh, and those lippies have such gorgeous colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was actually looking at the L'Oreal BB cream the other day so I'm happy to see you talk about it here! Just might have to give it a try! :)
    And PS: don't you just love EssieButton?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am a huge fan of Ulta, I can browse around for hours! Looks like you picked some great stuff. The L'Oreal BB cream reminds me a lot of the Body Shop BB cream that I have, because it also comes out white and then adjusts to the skin colour.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Ulta! I recently got into pur mineral's pressed foundation and now Im obsessed. I love BB cream but find that my favorite is still rimmel!

    -the Preppy Student

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was wondering about the Loreal BB Cream. Good to know! Thanks for sharing this info! I've kept myself away from Ulta lately because I know I'd spend too much money. Just got my Ipsy Glam Bag and look forward to trying what came in it. I can't remember the brand at the moment but I know a BB cream came in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the sound of the L'Oreal liquid lipsticks, the colours are amazing too!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. BB cream totally confuses me. I think it's just because it's different, but I know I should start using it now summer has really hit. A face full of foundation is not ideal!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really need to try a BB cream. I dont have one, wasnt even sure I needed it, but after so many good reviews on blogs Im going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The NYX cream blush looks pretty awesome! i might have to add it to my wishlist! Does it come in a variety of colors/shades?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've honestly never been to Ulta. We have a few of them around here, but I have yet to venture in. I'm super interested in the BB cream. I use a tinted moisturizer, but am curious about how the BB cream works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love that BB cream!! I got a sample of the light one and it was too dark for my skin, so I thought that I wouldn't be able to use BB cream from that line. When I went into the store, I found that they had it in Fair, which is the perfect match for me. I'm on my 3rd or 4th tube of it. I hope you like it as much as I do! :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. That NYX blush looks super cute! I wonder what it looks like on your cheeks and how it wears throughout the day...

    Kristen @ Your Beauty Fix

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such great finds! The sales at this time of year are just killing me :)

    xo Jackie
    Something About That

    ReplyDelete
  28. I want it all - I wish we had an Ulta closer to us..really great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top