DIY Carmel deLites


I know these have an updated name, samoas, but they were carmel delites when I was a Girl Scout, so I'm sticking with that name. I came across this recipe on Pinterest and thought it was way too good to pass up. I figured I would take a mini shortcut and use the Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix for the cookie and the ingredients for the topping seemed pretty basic.



I'm going to start by saying these cookies were delicious. They were also difficult because I made a few mistakes along the way, but I have a few suggestions that will make this recipe a little bit easier for you!


First, I'll tell you where I went wrong.... I was slightly confused by the recipe because I couldn't figure out how you would apply the carmel topping then dip the cookie in the melted chocolate. In my mind you were supposed to submerge the entire cookie in chocolate and then add the topping. I quickly realized this was not going to work- I didn't have close to enough chocolate for that and it was a complete mess. It was actually pretty easy to just dip the bottom of the cookies in the chocolate. I realized that you are supposed to apply the topping and then dip the cookies. Live and learn.


I melted my carmel in the microwave as directed and all was well until it came time to apply it on the cookies. I think I burned every single one of my fingers trying to work with the topping. You have to keep it hot so it doesn't harden and I had a hard time finding a balance between keeping it moldable and not burning my fingers.

I followed the recipe exactly and you can find the full recipe here from bakingbikes.com.


A few tips...

1. Use a cookie mix to save time-- you'll have to wait for the cookies to be completely cooled before you can move onto any of the other steps, so make sure you make the cookies the night before, or have a few hours set aside.

2. Skip the mini circle in the middle of the cookie-- I get that you want these to look as authentic as possible, but I burned every one of my fingers trying to work with the carmel topping- it was much easier (& faster) to just plop down the carmel topping on the cookie without worrying about making it in a wreath shape. I promise it tastes just the same.

3. I would also completely skip dipping the bottom of the cookie & just skip to adding the chocolate drizzle on top. Skipping this step will save you so much time and trouble & taste wise I really did prefer the ones with less chocolate.

And because these are so delicious and a definite treat I'm linking up with Treasure Tromp!

PS. I guest posted on Lauren's blog yesterday & shared a few all-time and recent book favorites!

35 comments

  1. These look so delicious - you always have the best baking recipes! I'll have to try these out once the weather cools off outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh you are killing me with these... they look amazing! I'm definitely pinning these and trying them out soon!

    <3, Pamela
    sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmm yum. we dont have girl scout cookies at home so i shall call them carmel delites :) please send some to me as i am positive i could not make these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some good tips. Thanks for burning your fingers so I don't have to lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you always make the best desserts!! Planning on making more to ship out?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look amazing & so fancy to serve at parties etc! I love anything with caramel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! I love samoas! These look delicious! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look incredible! I'm not a very skilled baker but I might have to give this recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. these look amazing! these cookies were my fav from girl scouts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. GIRL. THESE COOKIES. They seriously look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Um, what are the chances of these still being good to eat after they're shipped in the mail say, oh I dunno, from the US to Canada???

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH.MY.SWEET.LOVING.TOOTH!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I those the Samoa's. What about spreading the chocolate on a cookie sheet and laying them down to coat the bottoms? That would save time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Omgosh those look absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMGOSH! Those look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yes, these are definitely NOT Samoas - grew up with them as Caramel Delights, too. I must try these!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok these look delicious, but I don't like coconut... wonder what they'd taste like without haha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are my husbands favorite Girl Scout cookies so I am going to have to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  19. They look just like the Girl Scout Cookie!!! One of my fav's. My husband made a giant Samoa cake-I bet he'd be interested in making these too. He's the one who bakes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are my favorite GS cookie! I never knew they had another name!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those look so delicious!! These would be perfect when I need my girl scout cookie fix!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  22. Caramel delites, samoas, either way I'll take them!! Yum

    ReplyDelete
  23. Samoas were always my favorite cookie!! Must try these! Life as I know it

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my gosh, so delicious! I need to make these. I think they're still called Carmel delites in certain areas. I know in Texas the various regions can use one of two cookie companies and with one they're called Samoas and the other they're called Carmel Delites. :) Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  25. How sad is it that my brain is such mush that I read this post the other day and couldn't remember if I commented or not? Pretty sad. I'm totally impressed with your baking skills-mine would look like hot messes. Also? The burning the fingers thing? Totally something I would do!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So if I send you my address can I get some of these..... ;-) Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've always wondered how this recipe would turn out. I've seen a few versions on Pinterest. Yours look delicious! Thanks for giving us your lessons learned. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. These sound delicious! My dad love the GS versions so I'm going to have to try and make them for him.

    ReplyDelete
  29. this looks amazing. thanks for sharing with us :)
    http://saltskinned.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  30. STOP it these were my favorite girl scout cookies! minus the high fructose corn syrup ;) This looks incredible

    ReplyDelete
  31. Um, YUM! Thanks for sharing those hints--I'm sure I would have made similar mistakes. Also, now I won't have to wait for the Girl Scouts to come to my door to have these cookies! :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. YUMMM! They remind me of Girlscout cookies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YUM. I hope you can come stop by my bloggie now too. New post is up. I look forward to your visit!

    Blessings,
    Christine
    www.beyoutifulhope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh my gosh, these look so yummy!! I definitely have to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top