lemon berry trifle recipe


The World Cup is on my mind, and the USA is on my mind, and I still can't believe that goal happened in the 94th minute. Keeping with the red, white, and blue I thought I'd share an old recipe today!

Summertime screams fruit + dessert to me. There are few things more delicious than strawberry shortcake or a berry trifle! I actually made this berry trifle a few summers ago and came across these photos when going through iPhoto recently, so I thought I would share the recipe here.


Ingredients
for the berries:
1 pint blueberries
1 pint strawberries
2 pint raspberries
1 lemon
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch

for the lemon cream:
1 qt whipping cream
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 jar lemon curd (11 oz)

1 pound cake/angel food cake


Directions
1. mix berries in a large bowl and toss with juice of half a lemon; combine berries, sugar, cornstarch, and remaining lemon juice in a saucepan over med-high heat; bring to a simmer and cook about three minutes; let berries cool;

2. in a separate bowl whip the cream with the sugar and vanilla; pour the lemon curd into a second bowl and slowly mix in the whipped mixture to loosen it;

3. place a layer of lemon curd on the bottom of your bowl; followed by a layer of pound cake (broken into pieces); followed by a layer of berries; repeat & top with a final layer of lemon curd


This is great for any kind of get together and I think it would be perfect made into personal cups- though the trifle dish does make it look pretty! (Does anyone else think of the Friends episode where Rachel makes the trifle, whenever they think of trifles?)

Are you a berry trifle fan?
What are some of your favorite desserts for summer?

Carly

26 comments

  1. I've never had berry trifle - but girl you made this look SO good!! I basically need to make this for a bbq I have coming up...but need to find a trifle dish!!

    Is that the Friend's episode where she mixes up the pages and has meat in it too?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this looks delicious! I definitely will be adding this to my list of desserts to make. One of my favorite summer treats is angel food cake with raspberries and a dollop of whipped cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh this looks so good! And super easy. I love anything with angel food cake so I may have to add this to my 4th of July menu!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had a berry trifle, but this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY GOSH, please send me some ;) This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so want a trifle dish so I can make this and see the colors inside! Guess I'll have to resort to our deep dish serving bowl ha. Love the mix of berries you used!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds amazing... I love lemon flavored desserts! I always feel like they're so refreshing!

    <3, Pamela
    sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carly!! This looks absolutely amazing!! And girllll, the World Cup is all my hubby and I talk about lately - loving this themed dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhhh my goodness! This sounds heavenly and looks gorgeous! What a delicious summer dessert...definitely trying this!

    Ivy xx
    Style Life Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so good! And I absolutely could not believe that Portugal equalised at the last second!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never made a trifle before, but they always looks so pretty and yummy. I'm going to have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my goodness! this looks so tasty and delicious! I must try! thanks for sharing!

    kelseybang.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Um, this looks way too good! I'm bookmarking this for later!

    www.madeintheshadeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Trifle is one of those classic British things but it can get a bad reputation at times for being an old lady dessert. Saying that my gran made an excellent trifle given half the chance. Pile up the berries I say!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks amazing! I'm going to have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Trifle is one of my favourite desserts! It always reminds me of my Nana, who used to make it with the pound cake soaked in sherry - I think it's a British thing haha.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh man. I love a good trifle and this one looks awesome! May make this next week when we're on vacation at our condo!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks divine, definitely going to have to try it!

    xx Cara
    www.carascliche.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks absolutely yummy!! Yay USA - we're doing much better than I thought we would! That tie with Portugal was quite amazing!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  20. That goal was nuts yesterday! I don't watch soccer but I did watch the USA game of course..!! Umm, now I'm hungry at 11:15pm ahhhhh hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  21. hahaha yes i always think of that episode! your trifle looks way better than Rachel's.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I could not believe that goal!! Butttt this truffle could make all that sadness go away! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I probably would eat the angel cake before successfully making this. Heh. Looks good though!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love trifles! I just made a similar recipe for the first time this year and Im hooked. Im going to make a blueberry and strawberry one for 4th July since the colors are nice & festive!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top