June Books + What's Next


I came across some wonderful books during June. I rarely give books 4 stars, but 4 of the 6 books I read were just about 4 star worthy. 

Case Histories by Kate Atkinson
2 stars
 I'm not sure how I came across this book, but it was one that took me forever to finish. It was one of those books that I didn't really care to finish, but after investing so much time in it I had to finish it, just to say I read the entire thing. As it turned out, once I got to the end I kind of wished I hadn't wasted my time on it. It's your pretty standard detective story with multiple points of view and multiple periods of time. 

I will admit, the beginning reminded me so much of the beginning of Dark Places that I kept picturing the characters in Kansas- not the UK, so I think from the beginning my imagery of the book and characters was skewed a little bit. I wasn't very captivated by Atkinson's writing style or any of the characters. I later found out the book was made into a PBS mini series, and I would be interested to see that to compare.   

Look Me In The Eye by John Robison
2 stars
This book was definitely the biggest disappointment of the month. I love memoirs and just about anything non-fiction so I expected to really enjoy the story of Robison's life with Asperger Syndrome.

I was hoping for more factual information tied in with his story, and that just wasn't the case at all. Way too much of the book focused on his careers with guitars and automobiles-- two things I have zero interest in, so I was completely bored for a big portion of the book.

4 stars
This book came along at the perfect time, because I had just read the above two books and was feeling pretty disappointed. Jen writes a blog by the same name of the book, though I was not familiar with it before reading the book.

I can't tell you how many times I laughed out loud while reading her stories. I will warn you she's a bit vulgar at times, but I didn't find it to be overdone or distasteful. Many of her stories focus on being a mom and dealing with other parents and things of that nature. I don't have any kids myself, but I still found those stories to be entertaining and you can so easily picture much of what she's talking about. I received the book through NetGalley, but it's currently available for pre-order. If you're a Chelsea Handler fan you would most-definitely enjoy this book!

The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell
4 stars
I had been waiting forever to read this book so I was a little bit nervous when it started off a little bit slow. The story follows a typist at a police precinct in the 1920's and her relationships and friendships. It had the perfect bit of history mixed in with a mystery that kept you wondering until the very end. And once you get to the end you're completely shocked-- at least I was! As soon as I was done I wanted to read it again. Kind of similar to when you watch a movie like Shutter Island or Inception and need to watch it multiple times.

After I'm Gone by Laura Lippman
3.5 stars
This was my first book by Laura Lippman and I really enjoyed it. I didn't realize until the end that the story was based on a true incident-- the characters aren't based totally off of the real people, but Lippman got much of her inspiration from the case and a few of the characters. It's a suspense/mystery about a man who disappears leaving behind his daughters, his wife, and his girlfriend. It kept me interested until the very end and I didn't even see the "twist" coming, which is always refreshing when reading this type of story!

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes 
4.5 stars
I loved this book so, so much. It was one I didn't want to end. I fell in love with almost all of the characters-- which is also why I was crying my eyes out to the point where I had to stop reading and compose myself to finish the book. I won't give away the ending, but this was definitely my favorite book of the month and I definitely have more Jojo Moyes books on my radar!

--------

I'm currently reading When The World Was Young another book I received from NetGalley and I really like it so far. What Alice Forgot will probably be next since it's in my library queue.

I'm still working my way through the #SCSBC14, meaning I'll get to Pride & Prejudice and The Goldfinch before the summer is over. They keep getting pushed to the bottom of my list because I own them, so I don't have the deadline to finish them that I often have with library books.

As of June I've read 23/35 books for the year. I have a feeling I might surpass my goal by the end of the summer-- but I don't want to jinx myself!

What have you been reading lately? 


 Carly

24 comments

  1. People I Want To Punch in the Throat...the title makes me laugh & I can definitely think of times I've wanted to do exactly that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much of a reader, but I've been wanting to find a few books that I'm really interested in to hopefully encourage me to read more! People I Want to Punch in the Throat sounds hilarious and like something I would actually want to keep reading!

    Ivy xx
    Style Life Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was interested in reading Look me in the eye. I have a 7 year old boy on the autism spectrum, but after your review I will not be placing it too high on my list lol. There are definitely a lot of others I would like to read first. I started reading The reason I jump. It is mainly a list of questions answered by a nonverbal autistic boy. It is interesting, but it breaks my heart a little some of the answers he gives to certain questions. Have a great Monday girl! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what a big reader you are! Me Before You was so good! I finished it over a month ago and still think about the ending often. I just started The Fault in our Stars so I'm way behind on reading the "it books"! Definitely want to read the blogger book next. Sounds hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just finished Little Bee. Now in the middle of three others :) love posts like this. I've read me before you and I didn't want to like it because the writing was just okay butt the story took over and I bawled too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hurry up and read P&P! jk. bummer about the first 2 books, i'm definitely going to check out the last one on your list, sounds good! hey did i miss a post about your summer book swap? i want to see what you got!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love your book reviews - they are so helpful! I'm going to add a couple of these to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such great book choices! I need to hurry up and get reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. People I want to Punch in the Throat sounds like my kind of read!! I am needing to get back on the reading train...I haven't read a book in quite some time and I feel so behind!! Thanks for all the recommendations!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me before you... heading to Amazon right now.
    I just love the name of People I want to punch in the throat - I say that all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm taking The Antelope in the Living Room with me to Mexico, you know I'm not a big reader but I always like a good book when I go to the beach :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved this post.. But now I feel like a terrible educator.. I haven't read a book in months.. Never mind so many in a month!! Ahhhhhh! Thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved Me Before You and After I'm Gone! Will need to check out the others...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for some good rec's - love that you have already picked out the winners for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm reading an Ann Rule book right now... true crime. LOVE her stuff!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. People I Want To Punch in the Throat will have to be added to my list. I am currently reading the House on Oyster Creek which is pretty good but I am only halfway through.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been looking for some new good books - will definitely be checking some of these out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just the title "People I want to Punch in the Throat" makes me want to read that book. Sounds right up my alley! And I'm glad to see you enjoyed "Me Before You" as well - it was so beautiful and I remember not being able to put it down. Great reading list!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need to add "People I want to punch in the throat" to my reading list. The name alone has me intrigued LOL!

    <3, Pamela
    sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. people i want to punch in the throat sounds great, i love when books actually make you laugh out loud

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the recommendations! I just placed a hold on AFTER I'M GONE with my library...love Laura Lippman's suspense novels!

    ReplyDelete
  22. the other typist is definitely on my to-read list! i'm glad you liked it and gave it 4 stars!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooh, great suggestions here. I'm definitely going to check out a couple of these.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Carly, thanks for visiting my blog, I'm so glad that you did! I look forward to reading more of your blog :) By the way, I am obsessed with reading and can't wait to add these to my list, especially the "People I want to punch in the throat"- that just sounds hilarious!!

    http://mylifebeingrenewed.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top