spring/summer gnocchi recipe


This post was supposed to go up on Friday but when I realized it was still in my drafts I figured I would just save it for this week. So here's one of my favorite new recipes.

This is one of those recipes that I was certain was not going to turn out as I was making it. In theory it's super easy but we all know I tend to have quite a few cooking fiascos. I came across it on Iowa Girl Eats and you can find the original recipe {here}. I followed her recipe pretty closely, with a few modifications I've talked about below!

So my cooking problems all started when we were out of olive oil and instead of thinking to just use vegetable oil in its place I drizzled the last few drops of olive oil in the pan- that I overfilled with gnocchi while having the heat too high. It quickly started to burn and I started to panic because I couldn't flip the pieces over quick enough, but I turned the heat down & it was all good.


The next mistake I made was when I thought I would try and turn this into a one-pan dish. I put the gnocchi into a bowl and put the pat of butter straight into the same pan. Big mistake because it immediately started to burn and I almost started crying because I thought I had ruined one of our really nice pans-- sometimes I get overly dramatic when cooking... haha

I tried again with a fresh pan-- only it turned out to be too small so I transferred everything into a third pan and that did the trick!


As usual I hadn't measured out my vegetables exactly I just kind of eyeballed how much I was putting in and let them satay-- it smelled AMAZING and I started to have hope in the dish again.

I didn't have fresh garlic or basil so I improvised and used minced garlic & a little oregano. Not a huge problem-- the flavor was on point!

Adding in the half & half kind of freaked me out because I've never cooked with it before, and I honestly wasn't sure exactly what it was (I have since looked it up). If you look at Kristin's picture it doesn't appear creamy, so I wasn't sure what this stuff was going to do, but I went with it and I was pleasantly surprised!


It was delicious! Even adding in the half & half it still felt like a really nice light meal.  I will definitely be making this quite a bit through the spring and summer and think next time I'll double the zucchini & hopefully add fresh basil! I planted some a couple of weeks ago-- just waiting for it to pop up.

I'm trying to get back into trying new meals again, so hopefully I'll have recipes up on the blog more often!

31 comments

  1. Looks really good - I've only ever had gnocchi once before but this sounds delicious!! Did you buy the gnocchi pre-made?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, this looks SO yummy! Definitely feeling super hungry right now hehe

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. drooling.
    i love gnocchi. seriously, looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so yummy! I'll have to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Confession, I've NEVER had gnocchi before, I think I need to try! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great! I'm with Mia's above comment, too - I've never had gnocchi before, but it looks intriguing! I'm a huge fan of Iowa Girl Eats - when I lived in Iowa, she was my sole source for recipes. She's kind of a big deal/celebrity over there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks delish! and I always have cooking mishaps too where I use the wrong size pot or whatever and have to rush to transfer things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks fantastic!!! My mom used to make it when I was little...but I haven't had it in so long!! Definitely need to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a huuge gnocchi fan - this sounds so delicious. I think I might try this recipe out this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I used to hate gnocchi, but now I can't fathom what about it I didn't like! This looks like a perfect summer dinner to make. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't had gnocchi in way too darn long. Fresh basil would be heaven on this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so good!! Too bad my husband probably wouldn't eat it haha!

    www.madeintheshadeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum!! I've never had gnocci, but this looks delish and perfect for a light spring pasta dish :) I'm going to have to try! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE Gnocci. This looks fantastic, I think I'm going to have to try it this week. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. uh clicking on your site and seeing that picture in the middle of the workday is torture. YUM. Gnocchi can be so heavy but this looks so spring-like.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pinning this! I've had gnocchi in my cupboard forever and have had no idea what to do with it. This looks so good - and so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never had gnocci... looks interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks delicious! I've never cooked with gnocchi before or even seen it at the grocery store but it looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks so perfect for summer!! Yummy!! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. YUM! i love gnocchi! i wish i was having this for dinner :) stop by! im hosting a rikshaw design giveaway! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh. My. LAWD. Must make this!!!! I love all of these things!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks completely incredible!!!! I really want to try to make it. Thanks for sharing love!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yummy! Let me know if you have a great brownie recipe any time soon. Cute post! :)

    I want to invite you to enter my blog's #HopeForMoms Giveaway (total giveaway valued at $810!) All you have to do is write a #HopeForMoms status which will be shared with mom survivors of human trafficking through International Princess project. :D Check out more details at my blog!

    God bless,
    Christine
    www.beyoutifulhope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yum!! It sounds delish & looks amazing! I'm relieved I'm not the only one who can have trouble in the kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oooh I had gnocchi for the first time last week and LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can't wait to try this dish! I just had gnocchi for supper last night! Thanks for sharing and can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I hope to see many more recipes sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top