Recent Reads

I had a recipe scheduled to go up today but my computer was not cooperating yesterday so I couldn't upload any of the photos I needed for the post. I'll hopefully post it Friday instead-- thankfully the photos for my Thankful Thursday post for tomorrow are already set & ready to go!


I've been reading some YA and Children's Lit lately, which is off my normal genre of books I would read-- sometimes it's just nice to change things up.


 The Moon & More by Sarah Dessen 
(3 STARS)
So I gave this 3 stars, but it would probably be more like 2.5 if I'm being honest. If you've followed my blog for a while you know I adore Sarah Dessen, so my low rating is unusual for her books. I can't pinpoint exactly what it was that I didn't like, but the second half of the book was boring. I didn't care for any of the characters and her stories usually have such a great romance going on, but this book it wasn't working for me at all. Theo (the male love interest) was way too annoying to be likable.  I would recommend Someone Like You, This Lullaby, or Along For the Ride before this one. I would actually recommend any of her other books!

The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry
(4 STARS)
This is such a lovely and clever story! It's children's literature, recommended for ages 8-12 years old, but it was a fun book to read.


Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
(1 STAR)
I honestly disliked this book more than I would like to admit. I hate to give a book tackling an important social issue (suicide/bullying) a negative rating, but I just did not care for how this book was written. I didn't find it believable. I didn't find it full of suspense or mystery. It has over 4 stars on Goodreads, but it fell flat for me.

The story is told through dual narratives, which I normally like, but one of the narratives used is via cassette tapes so like 85% of the book is in italics and for some reason that alone annoyed me. Perhaps I would have appreciated the story more if I read it in middle school or high school? I doubt it.

Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen 
(5 STARS)
I enjoyed this book so much, I actually thought about it days after I finished it. It was one of those books that you wanted to keep going once you got to the end and there were so many parts where I caught myself smiling and just happy. I love books like that!


I started Dark Places by Gillian Flynn, but I didn't read it fast enough so it went back to the library and I requested it again and am #6 on the list so it will probably be a while before I get it back again. I was thinking it's probably for the best as we started watching Breaking Bad and I think that's enough darkness in my life at one time!


Instead I started The One & Only by Emily Giffin, which I'm reading for the Book Sparks Summer Reading Challenge!

What have you been reading lately? 
Have you read any of the books I mentioned? What were your thoughts? 

24 comments

  1. You know I love when you share your current reads! I'm hoping this summers beach trip will allow me some leisurely reading time, I know where I'm going for suggestions :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The One & Only is on my list for the beach this summer :) I read Dark Places and thought it was great, BUT it is pretty dark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Emily Giffin and Sarah Dessen (although I won't read your first one of hers!). You didn't have good luck with books this month! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never read any books by Sarah Dessen but I'll have to check her out. I read Dark Places a few months ago and OMG... it's crazy! Although all of her books are pretty crazy so that isn't a huge surprise. I have The One & Only on me "to read" list this summer!

    <3, Pamela
    sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remind me to be sure not to send you my book once it's out ;) I kid, I kid. I write YA so I know how difficult that audience can be. I think a lot of times what ends up happening is we adults (guilty over here) get our hands on a YA book and expect it to rock us to our core. But it wasn't written for us. It was written for young girls who are actually going THROUGH some of that stuff at the time. Same thing with the 13 reasons why book--to a teenager all that stuff is core shaking. I actually just got The Moon And More from the library so I'll give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard Thirteen Reasons Why wasn't a very good read from others too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love book reviews - I'm going to have get along for the ride - any book that makes you happy and leaves a smile on your face is my kind of read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really need to start reading more!! It takes me months to get through a book - so pathetic! I've never read a Sarah Dessen book so maybe I'll start there :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never read any Sarah Dessen but have seen her books several times and thought about it. I think i will definitely need to check out the along for a ride book - I just love a book that makes me happy and think about it for the next few days - except when i am thinking about it because i hated it (cough cough allegiant) and i love your honesty. that 13 reasons doesnt look like something i would enjoy, that doesnt mean that i think the issue is not serious. and i also think even if books are written for certain audiences, that doesnt mean i should lower my expectations, unless it is a dr suess book. i am a teenager at heart sometimes, so i think i fit into the YA 'audience'. so, there. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love these posts of yours - always gives me books to add to my reading list! Have you ever read any books by Sophie Kinsella (Confessions of a Shopaholic series)? I think you would like her based on your past picks for books ... my favorite is Twenties Girl. I just finished reading Labor Day - I can't say I would recommend it, but I don't not recommend it either ... it's kind of a dark, weird book. That probably doesn't help any. :) Next up for me is either the Book Thief, Divergent or the Devil Wears Revenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE Emily Giffin. i haven't read this one yet but I've read everything else by her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My book club is reading The Orphan Train, but I haven't started it yet. I should probably go ahead and do that... I didn't really enjoy reading Gone Girl, too creepy and effed up for my taste. Are all her books on the 'dark' side?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll have to add a few of these to my reading list for once studying is done! Can't wait to say goodbye to Kaplan and hello to the old Kindle again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love mystery/suspense novels so I've blown through all of Gillian Flynn's books now - Dark Places was definitely my favourite of the three. I've just borrowed The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton after hearing great things from my family, but I haven't started it yet. I'll have to put some Sarah Dessen books on my summer reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Emily Griffin - I need to check that out.
    I think I liked the "thirteen reasons" book... its been awhile since I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dark Places was a bit too depressing for me. If I remember right I never even finished it. I loved Sharp Objects and Gone Girl though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't read any of these. I'll have to look for Sarah Dressen at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am not a big reader (seriously I think I'm too ADD or something) but I read Gone Girl and have been wanting to read Dark Places!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so excited to finally be done with school and get back into reading! :) I miss it so. I want to look into "along for the ride." I need to start and finish the book I recently got "gone girl" first though!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I remember being interested in Thirteen Reasons Why a looong time ago but I never got around to reading it. I trust your opinion and will pass it up for a better read- thanks! :) Your book reviews are great (helping me create a mental list of summer books).

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've read a couple books by Sarah Dessen, and I really enjoyed them. I'll stay away from the first one, though!! I am glad the Lois Lowry book was good - I looove her books. I just started the fifth Song of Ice and Fire book, so I will be occupied for a while :).

    ReplyDelete
  22. yay.. you totally answered my question I left on a reply on my blog.. I'm participating in the Summer Reading Challenge too.. excited. :)
    I love Sarah Dessen, I haven't read The Moon and More, but it is kinda disappointing to read something you didn't quite like from one of your fave authors. I did love Along for the Ride, though..
    will be adding the rest to my TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the honest reviews! I've heard of a few of those books and am always interested if they are really good or what others think!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I always enjoy reading YA novels! They make for great easy reads.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top