Let's Talk...Foundations!


If you've read my last few beauty related posts you know I'm currently on the hunt for a new foundation or tinted moisturizer or something. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I get almost 3 shades darker in the summer, so this in-between winter and summer phase is difficult for me to commit to a color. I really just have a hard time finding a color match in general as you'll probably be able to tell from how totally different the swatches are below!



TOP TO BOTTOM: NARS Sheer Matte, L'Oreal Lumi, Smashbox HD, Laura Mercier 
1. I really loved this NARS Sheer Matte foundation-- until I realized it really was too yellow for me. It's lightweight and obviously matte without being cakey. It claims that it has buildable coverage but I found the coverage to just be so-so. Along with the color being a little off for my skin-tone, I actually don't really love matte foundations on my skin so I won't be repurchasing this. I think I'm more likely to try out the sheer glow if I were to try out another NARS foundation.

2. The L'Oreal True Match Lumi foundation has pretty much sat tucked away since November. Not so surprisingly the color never matched me very well-- I went with one of the neutral shades, but I think I needed the warm instead, because it was a bit too pink.If you have normal to dry skin I think this might work really well for you. When I wore this I liked the finish it gave on my cheeks-- fresh & dewy, but it didn't have the same effect on my t-zone, as I'm sure you can imagine.

3. So they don't even make this Smashbox foundation anymore and this is the second time Smashbox has discontinued a foundation I've loved. I actually wore this in my wedding and couldn't have been happier with it. It was the perfect color match for me and photographed really well. It was full coverage without being heavy or cakey and definitely long lasting. Other than the frightful CC cream I haven't tried any other current Smashbox foundations but I assume it might be similar to the Liquid Halo foundation.

4. I believe this was the Smooth Finish Foundation by Laura Mercier and they've since updated the packaging. I was in Shade 4 and this probably would have been the perfect shade for me this winter but I didn't think to use it one time. I did really like this when I would use it and if you have oily skin and like powder foundations this would be a good one to look into. I'm like 99% sure it contains talc and I seem to have issues with foundations or setting powders that have talc in them so I try and avoid it as much as possible which is the main reason I wouldn't repurchase.

Top to bottom: Tarte Amazonian Clay, NARS Sheer Matte, L'Oreal Lumi, Smashbox HD, Laura Mercier
At the last minute I also swatched the Tarte Amazonian Clay Foundation in light sand. I am loving this foundation so far-- I've been switching between two samples & still haven't found the perfect color. I'm going to wait a few more weeks and try and match again because this shade is already a little too light for me. I plan on doing a full review of this later on so be sure to check back for that in the next couple of weeks if you're interested in hearing more!

I'm not sure this is technically a shopping my stash post, but I hope this was at least a little bit helpful to someone who might be interested in any of these foundations.

Do you have a HG foundation that you always go back to?
What foundation are you currently loving?

20 comments

  1. I have oily skin so I usually go for matte finish foundations, I love the Covergirl 3in1. But lately I've enjoyed mixing a matte one with a normal one. I've been mixing the Covergirl with the L'Oreal True Match, I really like the finish. I want to get the Lumi one to try mixing too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review!! I have used Make-up forever and really liked it - very light weight. I've been saving for the Armani Luminous Silk foundation...i've heard it's pretty fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Mia, I usually go for matte looks too. Ive been interested in trying out a powder foundation, I hav heard some great things about a few brands. Thanks for the review!

    www.madeintheshadeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I just use a BB cream daily but I want to try the Bare Minerals foundation sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually do matte finishes in the summer just since I tend to get oily then any way! I only use a liquid foundation if I'm going out for the night otherwise I use the Bare Minerals stuff which I'm obsessed with!

    <3, Pamela
    sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. fabulous post love. i pretty much always try for matte, but i have no idea what i am talking about, so don't listen to me. i just bought revlon color stay i think, and i really like that one. i also love bare minerals powder, but i need some sort of cream first as powder doesnt do it for me. im a cheapie though, dont like to spend a lot on makeup!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just recently tried a sample (and then bought the full size!) of the Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Airbrush foundation, which is the powder foundation. All I can say is wow. I never thought in a million years that I would love a powder foundation, but now I do. You should try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely want to hear more about the Tarte foundation! I've been using a Clinique CC cream as primer under my Marc Jacobs foundation, but now that it's summer I just use the CC cream and skip foundation altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you tried Smashbox's Studio Skin 15 Hour foundation? I looove that stuff! I also like CC creams or tinted moisturizers in the summer since I swear my skin is a different shade everyday - Jouer TM and Supergoop CC are two of my faves. And right now I'm still hooked on Bare Minerals!! I think it will be perfect for summer, too since it literally feels like you have nothing on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girl friend really put some time into this post - I'm impressed! I just bought the tinted moisturizer by Jane but I feel like it makes me look shiny. Sigh. Time for another possibility.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely LOVE Revlon ColorStay. I've been using it for maybe 6 months or so now and it's a godsend. Full coverage without LOOKING like full coverage. They have different formulas, too... for dry skin, oily skin, combination skin, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ever since I started Bare Minerals, I don't even use foundation - I should though - I have age spots.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wear a liquid Laura Mercier foundation and I love it, but I kind of want to find a cheaper alternative but I'm really struggling! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you find the perfect one, let me know! I feel like this is something I'm always struggling with!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the Tarte Amazonian Clay! It's probably the only foundation I've found that really does provide full coverage and lasts the whole day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Girllll, I need to go foundation shopping with you - I need some serious help when it comes to picking things out! I always force the Sephora lady to walk around and show me everything, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The inbetween is always so hard! I'm constantly on a search. Bronzer for me has always been helpful until I do get to the tan that I mostly will be for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Tarte foundation sounds nice! I've heard really great things about it but always have a hard time shelling out money for higher end foundations!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Bobbi Browns foundations. I've never found any that match me as well. I'm on the hunt for a tinted moisturizer for summer, so I can still look put together without wearing such heavy products. I recently picked up Olay's Fresh Effects and am not a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My favorite brand for face products like foundation is It Cosmetics. I love their Celebration Foundation and their CC Cream is amazing too! I also swear by their Bye Bye Under Eye Concealer. I think they do a great job of creating formulas that give coverage but still look like your natural skin. You should check them out! :)

    xo Always, Abby

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top