Smithsonian National Zoo (dc travel)

Admittedly, I've never been a big zoo person. I'm not the biggest animal person so that might be why- I definitely prefer the aquarium, but there's one major thing I love about the National Zoo in DC: it's free! I'd bet that a zoo isn't the first place people think to visit while they're in DC, but if you're looking for something else to do, it's definitely worth checking out. 

While this isn't the biggest zoo, it has quite a few new and renovated areas to check out. My personal favorite part of the zoo is the American Trail. This area houses the seals, sea otters, beavers and other more aquatic animals. 



Another recently opened area of the zoo is the Elephant trail. It winds through part of the zoo allowing you to observe them in many different locations, which is pretty cool.


I actually think this zoo is most well known for its giant panda exhibit. I have to admit I got caught up watching the Panda Cam this fall-- Bao Bao is so cute! I'm hoping to go see her in person soon!


And of course there are the other exhibits and areas to check out including the great cats, small mammals, birds, and more.





Below is an overview of the zoo in its entirety. There is parking for a small fee, but from my experience it fills up early in the morning. It's easily accessible by taking the red line on the metro to the Woodley Park station.



There is a 7/11, Starbucks, and FrozenYo store right across from the zoo-- so there are a few options to pick up something to eat or drink before heading into the zoo. It's also close to Adams Morgan and Dupont Circle-- both areas that offer a lot of dining options if you're looking for lunch or dinner.


Carly

20 comments

  1. I am such a kid when it comes to the zoo. I am more mesmerized than the children I'm going with. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the DC Zoo, but hate that they charge $23 bucks to park. Whomp!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The DC zoo is so much fun! I love that I can easily walk through it!

    Abby
    www.champagneplans.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. i absolutely did not know about the zoo in DC, or that it was free! thats awesome. I am not a huge zoo person because I feel bad for the animals, but they have changed so much so i think i will definitely need to check this out when i return to DC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been to a zoo in ages!! Next time we're in DC I'm going to have to vote for the Zoo..and you've inspired me to hit up our own zoo sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love going to the zoo and aquarium, now I want to plan a trip to both haha. That's so neat that it's free!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! I had no idea D.C. had a zoo or an aquarium. I love visiting the local zoo whenever I go someplace new!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm the same way with zoo's - we have the Lincoln Park Zoo here in Chicago that is free and because of that, we make a trip every few months! That panda... so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love going to the zoo! Those pandas are so dang cute!!! We have Busch Gardens down here and they do a pretty good job but yours looks like so many more animals!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Back in 8th grade our school took our entire junior high to DC and stopping at the zoo was one of the highlights for me! I remember stalking the panda, I think it was Hsing-Hsing back then. I also have a soft spot for the otters, they seem like such characters!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never been to the DC zoo but I would love to! The zoo is one of my favorite places to go! I love just watching all the animals and taking candid shots of them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't care how old I get, a day at the zoo is up there with a day of good shopping! Love the seals :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love zoos! The panda exhibit sounds like it would be so much fun to go see. I don't think the Lincoln Park Zoo here in Chicago has them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never seen a Panda bear in life... so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love animals! But those big kitties make me want to shit myself. haha

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the zoo - in fact me and the husband have membership to the Detroit zoo because we go so often. I always love watching the penguins and wild cats.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sadly, I still have yet to go to the Smithsonian Zoo. I went to the one in Baltimore last weekend and it was a big disappointment. Plus, paying $17 on top of parking was less than ideal. :(

    Connie | Sponsored by Coffee

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great pictures!! We have a zoo membership & I like going because the kids like going, but it's not the best zoo. I, too, love aquariums!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love visiting the zoo. Looks like a beautiful day :)
    Jessica
    the way to my Hart

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top