recent sephora purchases (& smashbox cc cream first impression)

cc cream, smashbox, sephora

I was excited when Sephora's chic week fell in line with my birthday month so I had an extra excuse to order something to get my free birthday gift. To be honest I wasn't even that thrilled with this year's gift because I already know I won't use the mascara, but a free gift is a nice incentive none the less & the lipstick is pretty nice.

I had been putting off buying another Shadow Insurance for a couple of months now-- $20 on something so boring seems like a drag, but with summer coming I definitely need a good base for my oily eyelids & this is the best primer I've come across.

Speaking of being oily, I also picked up the Urban Decay De-Slick Oil Control Makeup Setting Spray. For some reason this sounds better than powdering my face, but I'm definitely skeptical of how well it will work... results are still to be determined!

I had actually planned on getting the Tarte BB Tinted Moisturizer but after being unable to make up my mind, when I went to order it my shade was sold out! I took that as a sign I should try something else and went with the Smashbox CC Cream. I've always been a big fan of Smashbox foundations, so I was hoping I would have good luck with this CC cream...


... This CC cream was a total nightmare on my skin! The color was actually just about perfect but everything else was about as bad as it could get. I shouldn't be that dramatic because thankfully it didn't break me out or irritate my skin at all.

Somehow it looked powdery/cakey but my face was hella shiny and oily in like two hours. By the five-six hour mark it really looked like I didn't have any makeup on. The oily areas of my face (my forehead) had this weird almost frosty looking finish, I can't really explain it, but trust me when I say it was not a good look!

When my husband saw me at the end of the day he noticed something was wrong with my skin-- somehow this had a my skin but worse look going on!

I expected this to be very lightweight and a good base for days I don't want a full-face of makeup, but I expected more from the formula. This is definitely not worth the $20 - $40 price tag. I imagine you might have good luck with this if your skin type is normal or flawless.

As I'm sure you can imagine this went straight back to sephora, which is why I don't have any other pictures or swatches for you. I did pick up a sample of the Tarte amazonian clay foundation and will be sharing my thoughts on that soon!

Carly

23 comments

  1. oh that cc cream sounds horrible! thats why i am scared to buy expensive makeup, i bought some foundation from sephora once - even after trying it 'on' in store - and apparently i was allergic to it, my face took 2 weeks to return to normal :( i might have to check out that shadow insurance though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks about the CC cream! I had heard good things about that particular one, but since it seems like we have similar skin types, I definitely won't be giving it a shot. I think you will love the UD De-Slick spray ... I literally cannot live without it. I spray it on before I apply foundation (sort of like a primer), after I apply all my cream products/before I powder, and then at the end when my makeup is all finished. That seems to really help me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. UGh so sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with the CC Cream!! I'm a huge fan of all Tarte products so I can't wait to hear about your review. I totally agree the freebie birthday gift was sort of bust - dont think I'll be wearing that lip color anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with that CC Cream - that's the WORST! I use SuperGoop's CC Cream I love it!

    Abby
    www.champagneplans.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! Sorry to hear about the CC cream - I hope they let you exchange it! I've never tried any CC or BB creams yet, but I have heard they sometimes don't agree with people's skin :-/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bummer on the CC cream! You know I love that setting spray ;) The shadow insurance is a fave too! It's funny how repurchasing boring products is something we put off haha, it's just no fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stinks about the cc cream.. I hate when something doesn't turn out good and Jose sees and notices it.. Ugh..

    ReplyDelete
  8. :(( about the creme!! Definietly interested to see what take on the bb creme though! I really needed a tinted moisturizer in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That stinks about the CC cream. Let us know about the setting spray though because I struggle with oily skin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh GOSH!! How freaking awful! I hate when I have high hopes for a product and it just lets me down completely. I laughed at the whole "my skin but worse" feature! Lol! I'm bummed that the birthday gift isn't awesome this year. My favorite was still the year we got the sugar lip balms! I love those suckers and use them so sparingly bc I can't bring myself to spend the $20 on the full sized tube. Definitely let us know how you like the de-slick! I might need to grab some if you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh, that sucks! I think Smashbox makes a great foundation but I'll make sure to stay away from the CC cream! I've heard really good things about the Tarte foundation so I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's always fun to try new things, but it definitely sucks when they don't work as expected. Back to Sephora :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The CC cream sounds awful! That's so disappointing, especially considering Smashbox foundations/bases are so expensive. Thankfully Sephora has an awesome return policy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So good to know about the CC cream.. Sounds like a nightmare!! Happy Monday, girlfriend! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. All this stuff with the BB/CC cream...give me a break. I'm so sick of there always being a "new, improved" product that women NEED to be beautiful or complete. I'm so sorry you experienced that! It's really eye-opening when you realize how much money we as women spend on makeup. I have bad skin (acne) so I'm always looking for a solution but I'm starting to think the simple DIY solutions are the most helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was just at Sephora this weekend as well looking for a new powder. I have been really wanting to try a tinted moisturizer or a BB/CC cream, but everything I tried was so heavy! I really just wanted something super lightweight for summer that had more of a moisturizer feel when applied, and I was so disappointed when I couldn't find anything like it. I guess I'll have to stick to powder!

    XOXO
    Chelsea
    http://www.anchorsaweighblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't believe the cc cream was so bad! I've wanted to try it forever but I think I'll stay away now! Eek!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I received my email with my early birthday gift promo. I've been waiting to buy some mascara & I'm convinced it's now the right time :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Did you do some other Sephora returns when you were there?? ;-) I like hearing when things don't live up to their hype......not all expensive things automatically mean they are amazing right? I have to get my act together for some Sephora reviews this week as well! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yikes! It's always a bummer when new makeup doesn't work. I'm interested to hear what you think of the Tarte foundation!

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh no!! so sorry to hear that about the cc cream.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I got the Smashbox BB cream in a gift box and it broke my skin out like crazy! I had picked up the Garnier one for combo/oily skin and it works so much better - great coverage, light feel, SPF (I believe) and it seems to be agreeing with my skin. So far so good!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i hate cc cream. that's how my experience was with it, but another brand. bb all the way ;D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top