Easy French Toast Sticks Recipe

french toast sticks + easy recipe

I had actually planned on posting about something totally different today but I made this french toast on Sunday and it was so good I wanted to get the recipe up right away!



As much as I love waffles, I probably love french toast even more. My mom used to make it for me when I was growing up and while I don't remember it being too much work, it's something I've never made on my own. I think the main reason is because we rarely have bread at our house, let alone the right kind of bread for some decedent french toast.

I originally wanted to try a baked french toast casserole type of dish, but for just two of us there's no reason we need that much french toast! I thought about trying to half a recipe, but I don't always have the best luck with that so I went searching for a different solution and came across this delicious looking recipe from Two Peas & Their Pod: Cinnamon Streusel Baked French Toast Sticks.

I was picking up the ingredients from target so I didn't have too many bread choices but went with a loaf of french bread & it worked out perfectly!

For the french toast:
French bread (or Texas Toast)
3 large eggs
1/2 cup milk (I used whole milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

For the streusel:
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter

directions: preheat the oven to 350 degrees; prepare cooking sheet with cooking spray; cut bread into slices-- thickness depending on your preference; combine ingredients listed for the french toast in a medium bowl; dip bread into mixture; place on baking sheet; bake for 9-10 minutes; flip over and top with streusel; bake for another 10 minutes. for full directions visit the original recipe here



I love that this recipe was really easy to put together & the clean-up was equally quick and easy! I pretty much followed the recipe exactly and had no problems. The streusel wasn't perfect so I recommend taking your time when mixing all of the ingredients together.

I noticed about halfway through after I added the topping that it wasn't setting so I took it out and added more butter on top and kind of mixed it around a bit on top of the bread. It might not have looked the prettiest, but it definitely tasted delicious.

I enjoyed my french toast without any syrup because the streusel was sweet enough but my husband piled his with syrup and enjoyed the french toast just as much!


What are your favorite breakfast food recipes? I definitely want to try some more out over the next few months so make sure to leave your favorites below!

For any fellow book lovers out there, I am taking part in the Semi-Charmed Kind of Life's Summer Book Challenge! You can find my list here!

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! I am especially excited because it's my birthday weekend! 

Carly

18 comments

  1. This looks DELICIOUS! I definitely will need to make this soon, whether it be for breakfast or dinner. Happy early birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm starving and after reading this I'm contemplating sneaking out of my office window to search for French Toast. I have to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok so I can totally handle this recipe!! Thanks for sharing - and making my mouth water! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother in law makes some wickedly tasty French toast, probably a good thing she lives down in Pittsburgh otherwise my waist line would be huge! I always make French toast as a lunchtime treat every now and again with a lot of maple syrup but I might just have to add your topping next time, sounds very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an AWESOME idea!!! I'm having friends over this weekend, so I think these might be on the menu!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum thiss looks delicious - I'll have to give this a try!

    Abby
    www.champagneplans.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks absolutely incredible !! I love waffles and French toast so much too!! I definietly will have to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing!!! I'll just go ahead and add it to my Pinterest board :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum. The streusel makes this bad boy look freaking awesome. Must make this soon! Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks so yummy! I never have the right kind of bread for french toast either, but I'll have to pick up a little baguette the next time I'm at the store.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mom always makes big pieces of french toast (and let's face it, it's delicious either way) but these little guys are adorable! Plus who dosen't love a good baguette? and streusel too? good lord. yum

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy crap these look amazing!!! French toast is my fav! Have a good weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look unbelievably good!! Its on my bookmarks now! Happy weekend!

    www.madeintheshadeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. French toast is definitely the king of breakfast foods! Totally making this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look sooo good! I think french toast is my favorite breakfast food but we never seem to make it either! I always seem to have a hard time with streusel toppings, too but yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Girl this looks so so so good! I'd love if you'd share them at my recipe link up, Delicious Dish Tuesday . I can't wait to try these; I'm pinning them for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks super yummy!! How did I miss this post!! Must try this soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top