a few days with the cherry blossoms


If you read my post from earlier in the week you'll know my parents were in town for a visit last week. It ended up being the perfect timing because the cherry blossoms were just about in full bloom. I think most people can agree when I say the weather over the past 4-5 months has gone from snow to ice to rain to wind and back again with very few nice days in-between so it felt like a huge blessing that we got so many days of sunshine in a row!



On Wednesday we visited the Newseum which was a lot of fun. It's one of the few museums I had visited before-- mainly because the admission is $24 and most of the other DC museums are free. Your ticket is good for two days (in a row), but we didn't have time to spend a second day there.


The museum is six floors and they recommend working your way from the top down to make sure you see everything.  I'm not going to go into a ton of details but the 9/11 Gallery and the Pulitzer Price Photographs Gallery were two of my favorite areas.

Funny story (or actually not so funny), while in the Newseum there were like 3,000 class trips and this man/chaperone thought I was a part of his school group. I'm pretty sure it was a group of eighth graders so that's kind of crazy...

The concourse level has an outdoor space where you can look straight down Pennsylvania Avenue to the Capitol

Thursday we made sure to see the cherry blossoms at the tidal basin and pretty much followed the path I outlined here. It was the first time my parents had been to the Jefferson Memorial and the FDR Memorial, so it was fun to take them somewhere new on top of being able to see all of the gorgeous flowers!





Friday we spent the day in Annapolis! We would love to live in Annapolis one day so it's definitely one of our favorite places to visit. We toured the Naval Academy and walked around downtown Annapolis enjoying the sunshine.




Our dining options for the week included Moby Dick's House of Kabob, Founding Farmers, Cactus Cantina, and Acme.

I have quite a few other pictures from the past couple weeks on my phone so I think I'll do an iPhone photo post next week to share some of the more candid shots! I hope everyone has a great weekend & lovely Easter.

(linking up with Lauren Elizabeth)
Carly

20 comments

  1. We were just in DC last week looking at Georgetown for my daughter. We love it there. We have been a few times before. The cherry blossoms were gorgeous. This time we went to the Holocaust Museum since we didn't have my younger two daughters with us.

    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures! My husband just said to me that if we're still living in NC this time next year, he wants to go to DC to see the cherry blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like y'all had a great visit together. Someday I'm sure you'll love looking like an 8th grader ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all your photos!! The museum seems so interesting and houses a ton of stuff!! The cherry blossoms totally make me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are beautiful! That museum looks like a worth trip making - I'll have to add that to the list whenever my husband and I make it back to DC. Glad you had a great time with your parents! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't get over how beautiful the cherry blossoms are! How long are they in bloom for? When I plan a DC trip, I will definitely be planning around seeing those trees haha so glad you had a great visit with your parents! We always love when family come to visit us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, those pictures are so so so beautiful. It just sings springtime. I would love to visit the Newseum on our next trip to DC. We skipped it last time, but I've heard so many good things about it. Hope you have an awesome weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cherry blossoms are my fave! Your pictures turned out GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those Cherry blossoms are so beautiful, I want one in my yard!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These photographs just make me want to visit DC so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could spend a whole week going through the Newseum... So great!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful pictures Carly! We really loved visiting DC!! Thanks so much for sharing these!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks and sounds like you had an awesome time!! You're pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That first pictures is absolutely stunning. I have heard such amazing things about the Newseum.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Carly! I love reading your blog as well as all the pictures you post so nominated you for the most inspiring blog award! Check out this post to see what you have to do: http://justjone.blogspot.com/2014/04/very-inspiring-blog-award.html

    Hope you have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So beautiful! I love cherry blossoms so spring-like and pretty!

    dontcoralwithme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cherry blossoms are so pretty. Your pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Newseum is one of my favorite DC museums! I grew up in the DC area so it's crazy to see things like the DC sniper exhibit that actually affected me when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  19. As an Arlington, VA native I seriously can't get enough of the cherry blossom pictures. Every year I see them and think, "I should plan a trip home for cherry blossom season!" And then of course it rolls around again and I'm bummed to have missed it. These totally fill my heart. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top