MISCHIEF MANAGED

If you've been following my blog for the past couple of months you'll know I've been finishing the Harry Potter series. I read books 1-4 a little bit spaced out and then ended up reading 5, 6, and 7 pretty much back to back-- finishing the last two books in like two days! I know most people read through these books years ago when they first came out, and I'm way late with my obsession but I wanted to share my thoughts of the final book! My husband has never read them so he could not understand my sadness when I finished the final book.



The end of book six shocked me completely-- I knew Dumbledore was going to die but I thought it happened in the last book! So the entire time I was reading the scene where he does die I wasn't even sad because I figured he wasn't actually dead! I was wrong. 

The first five or so chapters of book seven (Deathly Hallows) were crazy intense. For the life of me I cannot figure out how it made sense for Harry to go to the Burrow?! They went through the big dangerous mission to hide him as he leaves the Dursley's, but then they take him to the place he's most likely going to go?

I also didn't get how Mr. Weasley was still chilling with the Ministry of Magic after it's taken over by the Death Eaters? Wouldn't he be the first person they would get rid of? Unless it's because he's a pureblood? I don't know. 

The first half of book seven wasn't my favorite. It was a great adventure story as they were hiding out in the forest, but again, I couldn't figure out how they were doing so much to stay hidden and then would decide to just go with some random person into their house (Bathilda)! How was it surprising that they were attacked?

I'm not sure if it's because there was so much happening in each chapter, but I felt like when something had been building up & it finally happened it was no big deal. For example, when Ron returns and they finally smash the horcrucx. I might have also been a tad annoyed Ron returned so quickly, but what can you do?

The chapter where they break out of Gringotts is easily one of my favorites of the entire book. I loved when they returned to Hogwarts and were reunited with everyone else. Although, I have to admit, I thought that was another strange scene-- the war started and it didn't seem to phase them that much.

I was the most sad/upset/disappointed when Snape died. I had been a fan of his from the beginning and even though Harry got to see his memory, I really wanted more from that-- it was such a huge theme/part of the entire series that it made me sad it was basically all squeezed into one chapter of the last book. I wish he would have survived so they could have had more to their relationship.

As far as the 19 YEARS LATER bit, I have to say I really didn't buy into Hermione's relationship with Ron-- I didn't expect her to end up with Harry either, I just didn't see any of them as being more than best friends. I also really expected them to work at Hogwarts! At least Hermione, right?

All that being said, these are easily some of my favorite books of all time. The story is so genius and creative, it really is impossible not to love. I'd have to say my favorite books were 1, 3, and 4. I loved when the story was more innocent and fun, and you're still learning about all the different characters and elements to the magic world.

In case anyone was wondering I was sorted into Hufflepuff, which is exactly what I expected! haha 

I could talk about Harry Potter allll day, so tell me...

Were you a fan of the series?
What characters were your favorite?
Were you happy with the epilogue?

15 comments

  1. These are some of my favorite books and movies!! I can watch them over and over!!

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could say I got into these - but I didn't not even the movies!! Glad you enjoyed them!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to re-read these! I sort of forget how everything played out and I read the last couple books SO fast too because I couldn't wait to see what happened.. so hopefully it will be like reading them for the first time again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Confession: I've never read Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the series, but its been a few years. It might be fun to reread it or finally watch the movies! (I was sorted into Ravenclaw...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Harry Potter series.....I didn't want to get into them but once I read the first book I was hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never read them..!! Ahhhh!! I know.. I never got into them nor the movies when they first came out.. Wahh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make me want to reread the books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wasn't thrilled Hermoine and Ron ended up together either!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A new blog design? How long have I been away? Looks great, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually didn't jump on the HP bandwagon until the final book came out. I loved the series and reread them often. I also watch the movies anytime they're on tv.

    I wanted Ron to end up with Hermione. J.K. Rowling has since said she screwed up and Hermione should have ended up with Harry. I have to disagree. I was happy with how things turned out. Well, except for Snape dying...

    ReplyDelete
  12. True story... one night, I got very drunk. Pete tucked me into bed and put the 6th movie on. He comes in to check on me and said "How are you doing?" I said: "Dumbledore is DEAD! How do you THINK I'm doing?!" haha

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am DEFINITELY a Ravenclaw. And I'm impressed you never watched the movies so you could still be surprised by the books! Snape's death was only surpassed by Sirius', in my opinion. And I also think Hermione is way too good for Ron - he's so whiny! Haha. I hated the epilogue, but I loved the rest of the series. I was definitely one of those Potterheads that pre-ordered every book and read them in two days each. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i just can't get into HP! and i've been trying FOR YEARS. i managed to get through books 1-3 and stopped part way through azkaban and can't get past it. does it get better??

    -kathy
    Vodka and Soda

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't say I've read them. :( I love reading about your obsession on Twitter though..quite funny!
    I share your sentiments about the sadness felt when the book finishes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top