Homestyle Stuffed Peppers

I had planned on doing a Five on Friday post today but I finished reading the sixth Harry Potter and was completely SHOCKED. I knew what happened was going to happen, I just had no idea it happened in that book! In short, I'm too wrapped up in Harry Potter land in my mind to formulate a post for today so I thought I would share a stuffed pepper recipe I was planning to post next week.



Up until a few months ago I had never tried stuffed peppers. Back in the summer I made southwest stuffed peppers and while they were good I wanted to try something different this time. Oddly enough I haven't been in the biggest mood for Mexican foods lately, so when I saw this homestyle stuffed peppers recipe it looked like the perfect one to try!

I kind of felt like I was on an episode of Chopped when I was preparing this because there are a lot of different components you're working with all at the same time. This requires quite a few different pans which normally would be a deterrent for me, but it's a really easy recipe & there are a few things you can do to speed up how much time it takes to prepare/cook!

My husband had ate a few slices of pizza not long before the peppers were done so I didn't expect him to be in the mood for stuffed peppers, but he ate one in like two minutes flat!

I followed this recipe almost exactly-- I made a few modifications I will list below!

YOU'LL NEED:
4 green peppers
1 1/2 lean ground beef
1 cup cooked white rice
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 finely chopped onion
1/2 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
28 ounces tomato sauce
1/4 cup white vinegar

DIRECTIONS:
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees; Cook peppers (tops & seeds removed) in boiling water about 4 minutes; Rinse peppers with cold water & set aside to drain; Mix ground beef, cooked white rice, lightly beaten egg, chopped onion, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and parmesan cheese in bowl until evenly mixed; Divide mixture into peppers; Top with combined vinegar & sauce; Add additional parmesan cheese

Bake about 80 minutes (if using uncooked meat)

MY TIPS:
1. I'm not a pepper expert, so maybe my peppers were small, but if you use the amount of rice & meat the recipe calls for I swear you could fill 5-6 peppers! I used a little under a pound of ground beef & a little less than a full cup of rice for four peppers and had enough filling for another pepper left over!

2. If you're short on time or want to reduce cleanup, use the 90 second rice you pop in the microwave.

3. If you're paranoid about your meat not being cooked like I am, brown your meat before! I was worried this would make the filling too dried out, but it wasn't an issue at all! Especially with the sauce.

4. I LOVE vinegar, but I wasn't sure about adding it in to the sauce so I used under the recommended amount- I don't have a very advanced palette but I think you could probably skip the vinegar all together.

5. Instead of the recommended 80 minutes, I cooked them for about 40 minutes since I had pre-cooked the meat-- I wanted to make sure the egg was cooked!

6. I used some shredded mozzarella to top off the peppers instead of the recommended parmesan.

7. For crisper peppers, skip boiling them and just put them in the oven.

They look better than they photographed, promise! 

Have you ever tried this style of stuffed pepper? 
What types of recipes have you been enjoying lately? 

15 comments

  1. I love stuffed peppers! They're such a healthy take on Mexican food and so easy to make! I usually use quinoa and black beans for the filling for more health benefits. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am obsessed with stuffed peppers!!! I could make them every week if I had the time!! I usually use brown rice and turkey for the meat! I've never tried italian style! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to try a stuffed pepper recipe but for some reason, they kind of intimidated me! My husband looooves them so I know he would appreciate if I tried this! Stuffed peppers seem like the perfect spring dish.. a little lighter than the heavier Mexican casseroles we've been eating all winter. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep seeing stuffed pepper recipes and keep failing to pick up some durn peppers at the store. Must make these soon! Have a great weekend, lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to try making stuffed peppers! it's tricky for me because I don't eat red meat but I bet I could make this with chicken too. Thanks for the recipe it looks so good--I'm always craving Mexican food haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made stuffed peppers for the first time this past weekend and now I'm hooked! I might try this with ground turkey. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One day i'm hoping to grow up and like peppers haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look yummy! I've never been a fan of peppers, but I think I could get on with stuffed peppers... you can just eat what's on the inside. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Friday! I used to hate green peppers but have really gotten a taste for them lately. It's time to have a redo and stuff some peppers. Thanks for sharing your recipe and have a great weekend Carly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh those look so good....hmmmm maybe that is on the menu this weekend. I love orange peppers they are my favorite! Hope you have a great weekend girl! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look delicious! I definitely am adding this to my recipes-to-try list. :)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love stuffed peppers... there's a quinoa version I've been wanting to try out. They're delicious in the crock pot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow these look so delicious.. I could just eat them right now! xx

    Gemma // missmakeupmagpie.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohh yumm, they look SO good! <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just you wait until the 7th book then! I remember putting that book down and swearing that I was going to quit the series, because I was so mad that the events had happened. Also, I'm one of those raw meat paranoids, but your peppers turned out so lovely (and fully cooked!)

    Brittney

    Another Beautiful Thing

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top