Whole Wheat Pasta Bake



I almost didn't post this because I thought it was too easy or too obvious, but I decided to share it anyway because it was really good! I call it my whole wheat pasta bake with ground turkey!


What you need:

Half a package of ground turkey  (I didn't think to look at how many pounds it was, but you can use as much meat as you prefer)
Half a box of whole wheat rotini (see how good I am at measuring...)
~1 Jar of pasta sauce
2% Mozzarella shredded cheese or cheese of your choice
Salt, pepper, and italian seasoning

*Adding an onion would have been a good idea but we didn't have any
**I thought about adding spinach, but it's really not my favorite so I skipped it, but it would also go really well if you want to add in some veggies!

I started by browning the meat and then adding the sauce and letting it simmer while I boiled the pasta. Next I mixed everything together in an 8x6 pan and topped with cheese and baked for about 10-15 minutes and voila!



You could just as easily make a regular pasta and top it off with cheese, but something about a baked dish in the winter is so much more satisfying! Also, my husband normally refuses to eat whole wheat pasta, but he gave in and enjoyed this dish!


One little disclaimer is that I would probably use less meat next time because I picked a lot of it out-- my husband liked it, so it just depends on your personal preference!

And a confession, I think it was actually better the next day!

15 comments

  1. Yum!! I LOVE easy, yummy recipes so I'm happy you posted this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! I have a similar recipe for a pasta bake that my husband loves, but I will have to try this whole wheat (= healthier) version.

    Happy Friday!
    Karly
    missinthemidwest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm this looks yummy! I could eat pasta every single day :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use to live on pasta bakes as as student, I haven't had one in so long!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love me an easy recipe and I love pasta even more :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! I totally agree that pasta is better baked in the winter! I can never get bakes to taste good the next day though.. mine always seem to dry out. How did you reheat it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How yummy and easy! Have you heard of Dreamfields Pasta? Even better than whole wheat with 60% less carbs than normal pasta, and I swear NO weird taste or texture. Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I looooove pasta! I'm definitely gonna try this. I feel like a LOT of things taste better the next day... stuff like this, soups, etc

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks oh so yummy and simple to make. I love simple.
    P.S. I love leftovers. I feel like they always taste better the next day.

    Kendwy @ MindofKiwi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh this looks yummy. Apparently its my turn to cook dinner tomorrow, so I might give this a try :)

    Lauren | laurenthedaydreamer.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious!
    www.writingmonique.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like this recipe! Sounds delicious and I would love to make it! Lots of meat sounds good as my husband would love it too!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks crazy good! I love simple recipes too, it's perfect for our house!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, I meant to click on this when I first saw it in my feed! I'm so glad you posted this (no matter how easy/whatever it), seeing as I have like zero patience when it comes to cooking. I think I'll give this a go this weekend and add in some spinach- thanks for the idea. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top