Someday, Someday, Maybe


I had seen this book all over twitter and honestly didn't even realize who Lauren Graham (actress from gilmore girls & parenthood) was! I read over the book description and thought it sounded cute but wasn't really my regular book choice so I never added it to my "to-read" list.

When I saw it was one of the choices for the balanced book club, I thought why not vote for it and give it a try? It was the first book selected and it ended up being the perfect timing because I wanted a quick & light read while I traveled over MLK Jr weekend.


Synopsis via booklist:

Actor Graham turns to a new creative outlet with her breezy first novel set in the demoralizing if funny bustle of New York City’s 1995 acting world. Twentysomething Franny Banks is destined to act, if she can can actually land a decent audition and an even more decent part. Able to pay her rent since she snagged a coveted comedy-club waitressing job, Franny lives the typical life of a struggling actor as she tries to balance finding a good agent, going to auditions, making a splash in her acting class, and keeping her disliked if much-needed job while fretting over the looming self-imposed deadline of three years to make it on Broadway. Her roommates, good pal Jane and wannabe writer Dan, play her foils as she also deals with family issues and the very enticing James Franklin, from her acting class. A jaunty style and cutesy Filofax entries mark this as light yet enjoyable reading. Recommended for readers interested in a blithe, behind-the-scenes take on aspiring actors and their world. --Julie Trevelyan

The book was fun to read and enjoyable but not one of my new favorite books. I found myself getting bored at certain parts of the dialogue; but I loved some of the sections where it was more of Franny's own thoughts and observations. Reading about her journey to become an actor was interesting and entertaining, but it didn't hold my interest and I think that's where a bit of the boredom came in for me.

Usually when I read books I develop an image of how someone looks in my mind but that didn't happen at all with this book so I wish there could have been a bit more description or background even. I also wish the relationship with her dad was more developed. I know most of their interactions were through the messages left on her answering machine, but I wanted more out of that relationship.

I did love all of the references to the 90s & the cute datebook illustrations. I definitely was disappointed with the ending, but I hear there's a second book??

Overall, I would give it a solid 3.5 stars. I liked it & really enjoyed it, but didn't love it.

Favorite Quotes:

"I must work harder to achieve my goal of not seeking approval from those whose approval I'm not even sure is important to me. This includes, but is not limited to, people I grew up with who I see when I go home for Thanksgiving; people with real jobs of any kind, especially those requiring suits or high heels; people on the subway; taxi drivers who question my choice of route; people who work at the deli on Eighth Avenue where I sometimes ask for extra mayo..." p. 25

I think this is such good advice for everyone who struggles with the feeling of needing acceptance from others.

"This is nothing like my fear of ironing, although ironing is another secret society that doesn't want you to know what's up. Do you know anyone who can tell you why the ironing board is shaped that way? How does it help me that it's the size of a surfboard?" p. 131

This made me laugh. Mainly because I hate ironing & can never figure it out.

Have you read Someday, Someday, Maybe
What were your thoughts? 
Have you read any other books lately?

11 comments

  1. Confession... one of my goals this year is to read 5 books, I've yet to start. Fail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read this! Just added it to my must read list.. which is getting a little long, I need to step up my reading game! Do you watch Parenthood? I'm so happy it's back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw that she had written a book - but wasn't really into reading it!! Based on your review I might hold out and wait for it to go on sale for the kindle haha! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review. Definitely sounds like a book I would skip! It's interesting that it got so many good reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt the same way. I liked it, but didn't love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has been on my "to read" list for quite a while. I just keep finding others I want to read first. I'll leave it on there but based on your review, won't move it up further in priority!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so crazy! I know who the actress is but I had know idea she was a writer! This isn't something I typically read, but I think it owuld be worth reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to read this book now, looks really good!

    dontcoralwithme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love love love Gilmore Girls and Lauren Graham in GG but I so was not a fan of this book! :-/ I wanted to be so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't heard about this book but I will have to read it! I am on the Divergent series right now and love them! Excited to be a new follower of your blog.
    XO,
    http://www.sororitygirlintherealworld.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I didn't jump on board yet with the book club, but I did enjoy reading your review of the book!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top