best of 2013 (books)

I didn't read nearly as much as I had hoped this past year but I did read some amazing books that will probably be my favorite for years to come! 


The Light Between Oceans is an amazing story with beautiful writing. It's a story of love and loss and will probably break your heart because you can't help but feel connected to the characters.


After four harrowing years on the Western Front, Tom Sherbourne returns to Australia and takes a job as the lighthouse keeper on Janus Rock, nearly half a day’s journey from the coast. To this isolated island, where the supply boat comes once a season, Tom brings a young, bold, and loving wife, Isabel. Years later, after two miscarriages and one stillbirth, the grieving Isabel hears a baby’s cries on the wind. A boat has washed up onshore carrying a dead man and a living baby.


Tom, who keeps meticulous records and whose moral principles have withstood a horrific war, wants to report the man and infant immediately. But Isabel insists the baby is a “gift from God,” and against Tom’s judgment, they claim her as their own and name her Lucy. When she is two, Tom and Isabel return to the mainland and are reminded that there are other people in the world. Their choice has devastated one of them. -from amazon.com 

It was a story that I didn't want to end...I wished there were more and more pages. I can't wait to see if/when the author publishes another book. 

I read Harry Potter--books 1-4 starting in the summer and was officially like ten years too late with my Harry Potter obsession. I know I'm one of the few people who hasn't read all of these yet so I won't bother with a synopsis, but I love everything about the magical place that is Hogwarts (I'm a hufflepuff). 

If you looked up the word introvert in the dictionary it's quite possible there would be a picture of me. Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, was definitely my favorite non-fiction book I read this year. As an introvert I enjoyed reading this book because it was a mini pep talk in a lot of ways and reminded me that I'm actually quite normal! I found it to be a the perfect mixture of statistics and personal stories. The kindle book is available for only $2.99 so I would definitely recommend this for introverts, extroverts and everyone in-between! 

What were your favorite books of this past year? 

8 comments

  1. OHMYGOSH! I can't believe you just started reading HP! Did you see the movies at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i've never read any of the HP books. got somethin to say about it girl?? I probably won't ever read them either :)

      Delete
  2. I loooved Harry Potter! I've actually been thinking of re-reading them because it's been so long! I've also heard good things about the Light Between Oceans.. I may need to order it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED The Light Between Oceans! It was so beautiful and moving!
    Great list!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost picked up Quiet yesterday but I put it back down and chose something else instead. I think I'll order it online this afternoon though, it sounds like a wonderful read!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Quiet too this year! It was such a good book and I'm happy to have worked through it. I realized when I was writing my favorite books of 2013 post that I read a ton of nonfiction this year.

    Sarah
    aroseinthecity0.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Light Between Oceans sounds good. I will have to read it!

    Btw I'm loving the new blog Carly!

    Lauren | laurenthedaydreamer.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quiet is on my shelf to read! glad to hear that you enjoyed it and that it wasn't too much on the stuffy side with too much research and statistics...that was probably what kept pushing me away from picking it up! i'll be reading that soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top